JOB TITLE: Coordinator, Control Room Technology
DEPARTMENT: Cubs Operations
ORGANZIATION: Chicago Cubs
REPORTS TO: Assistant, Director, Video Board Operations
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
BEING PART OF THE TEAM
Our business is a team sport that began on a field with baseballs and bats and has evolved into one of the most recognizable brands in sports an entertainment through Cubs baseball and live events. Our success is driven by our people, work to create and inspire change in an engaging, collaborative and inclusive environment. As a team, we continue to build a culture on and off the field that delivers unforgettable experiences for one another, our fans and community. In support of that effort, we expect associates to work primarily in our office. Are you ready to be part of it?
- THE CHICAGO CUBS FRANCHISE is a charter member of Major League Baseball’s National League. Since 1876, the team has won the National League pennant 17 times and was the first team to win back-to-back World Series titles in the 1907 and 1908 seasons. In 2016, the Chicago Cubs made history again when the team won its first World Series in 108 years, ending the longest championship drought in North American sports. Known for its ivy-covered outfield walls, hand-operated scoreboard and famous Marquee sign, iconic Wrigley Field has been the home of the Chicago Cubs since 1914, making it the second oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE:
At the heart of the iconic Wrigley Field experience lies a dynamic fusion of innovative technology and immersive entertainment. As the Coordinator, Control Room Technology, you play a pivotal role in shaping this experience, working on, and maintaining the intricate web of in-venue video board control systems that help produce every event, including Chicago Cubs home games.
In this role, you will be hands on in the control room during, and especially between events alongside the Assistant Director, Video Board Operations, the Control Room Producer, the A/V Engineer, and the game day crew. Your expertise will be on display in building and programming content, as well as teaching and coaching staff in their roles in a positive and uplifting manner. Your role extends beyond the confines of technology; it is about curating moments that resonate with every fan who steps through the gates of Wrigley Field.
Experience in live event control rooms, in-venue, streams, or broadcast productions is required. Working knowledge of control room systems, including production switchers, graphic machines, replay systems, and communication in a live event environment is crucial to this role's success. Curiosity, motivation, and logical thinking are necessary, and a love for the Cubs and baseball is a plus. Join us in the pursuit of excellence, where your technological prowess and problem-solving acumen will elevate the game and event-day experience for millions.
- Support Video Board Operations team (Assistant Director of Video Board Operations and Control Room Producer) in live productions to create the best-in-class game and event entertainment
- Ensure seamless integration and functionality of control room systems, including graphics (Ross Xpression/Tessera), replay (Evertz DreamCatcher), and video switching (Ross Ultrix Acuity)
- Operate control room positions for games and events, including graphics, replay, technical directing, and directing, as necessary
- Coordinating and updating sponsorship elements for corporate partnerships including assets for Wrigley Field, concourse TVs, and Gallagher Way
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve any technical issues that may arise, ensuring uninterrupted and high-quality productions with assistance from the A/V Engineer
- Maintaining the MLB (Major League Baseball) player headshot directory for Wrigley Field home games for both Cubs and visiting teams
- Produce/Direct small scale non-baseball events
- Perform efficient and accurate quality checks on graphics before and during events to ensure proper spelling and grammar
- Support the Video Board Operation team’s organizational tasks (e.g., scheduling, asset management, etc.)
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in a live sports production environment
- Experience as a technical director for a live sports production
- Experience building and operating Ross Xpression and Dashboard software
- Record of accomplishment of creative thinking that has led to increased efficiencies and functionalities in a control room environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects
- Ability to work a varied, non-standard schedule to include evenings, weekends, and holidays
WHAT SETS YOU APART:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of study such as TV, film, or communications
- Knowledge of Ross’ Acuity switchers, Evertz DreamCatcher replay, Sony Broadcast cameras and Daktronics LED and video display systems
- Experience as a director for a live sports production
- Creative mind for developing entertaining game day content
- Strong understanding of the English language to assist with spell checking and grammar for on-air graphics
- Familiarity with the sports/entertainment industries (music, fashion, art, etc.)
- On-site parking
- Transit benefits
- Paid time off: Holiday Break, Personal, Sick, & Vacation Time
- Casual work attire environment
- Complimentary Meal & beverage plan
- Cubs home game ticket allotment
- Access to campus wide Wrigley Field events & pre-sales
- 401K Plan Employee Contribution & Employer Match
- Benefit Plans: Medical, Dental, Vision & Life Insurance
- Health & Wellness engagement & programming
- Variety of associate special events, volunteer opportunities and partnership discounts
- Access to online associate recognition & rewards platform
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.