WORK OPTION: In-Office
The NBA is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace. To safeguard our employees and their families, our visitors, and the broader community from COVID-19, and in consideration of recommendations from health authorities and the NBA’s own advisors, any individual working onsite in our New York and New Jersey offices must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The NBA will discuss accommodations for individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
This new position will join a multi-disciplinary team that works across multiple departments on all matters related to NBA player health. The Player Health and Data Analytics Lead will play a key role in health data and analytics efforts of the Player Health group, particularly focusing on interventions regarding player injuries. This includes the management and administration of player health databases, working with NBA team health personnel and injury/epidemiology consultants, coordination of relevant research programs, and liaison with the staff managing the league’s electronic medical records platforms. As part of this role, the manager will also assist in injury reporting workstreams with the Basketball Operations group.
- Manage NBA player health injury data and analytics programs, particularly related to data collection and analysis related to prevention and management of NBA player injuries
- Plan and oversee NBA injury and epidemiology projects and consultants, ensuring that relevant objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame
- Manage and track progress of NBA player health related system development and enhancement
- Curate data streams and conduct epidemiology and injury analyses of varying complexity
- Prepare presentations on relevant injury and health topics to internal and external stakeholders
- Assess internal processes, systems and reporting and make recommendations for improvements
- Draft memoranda and documents related to league policies and practices
- Identify the latest epidemiology research and sports science findings and disseminate information internally with substantive recommendations
- Communicate with NBA medical consultants and team medical personnel on ongoing technical and research projects
- Participate in regular discussions with various stakeholders related to player health and performance
- Support in-person and written training sessions and materials related to player health systems and processes
Required Education/Professional Experience
- Education: Postgraduate (masters or PhD) qualifications in data science, informatics, epidemiology, public health, or biostatistics required
- Experience: 4-6 years of data science, health data management/analysis, epidemiology, healthcare, biostatistics and/or public health, experience required, preferably in the areas of sports injuries, with exposure to orthopedics, sports medicine, and human performance or sports science. Relevant project management and presentation/data visualization experience is also highly desirable.
Required Skills/Knowledge Attributes
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Detail oriented and well-organized
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge and experience with statistical data analysis methods and software
- Understanding of data management principles in health and medical research
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements in health (confidential information, privacy and data governance)
- A strong commitment to organizational ethics, integrity and compliance
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team environment and on broad multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong proficiency in drafting documents, spreadsheets, and visual presentations
- Demonstrated strong interest in and knowledge of sports industry, athlete health, and the game of basketball
Salary Range: $130,000 - $155,000 annually
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.