The Miami Marlins are seeking a full-time Data Engineer for the Baseball Analytics department. The candidate will be responsible for designing, implementing, and optimizing ETL processes that ingest, validate, and organize baseball data. The Data Engineer will support the information requirements of our analysts, coaches, and scouts. Strong applicants will have experience with modern ETL processes and database management, with extensive knowledge of both SQL and Python.
- Continuously improve the department’s access to information; design, develop, and optimize ETL processes to ingest data from new data sources.
- Improve completeness, cleanliness, and timeliness of existing data sources.
- Create production-quality Python and SQL scripts to automate data loading, using scalable and concise code practices.
- Maintain high data quality standards. Proactively identify, diagnose, and resolve data issues.
- Learn, extend, and improve the existing database architecture - ensuring data is well organized for end-users and easy to connect to other data sources.
- Maintain a version-controlled code repository of ETL scripts.
- Collaborate with Baseball Operations staff to understand our organization’s information needs.
- Prioritize workflows effectively and share relevant expertise to best support data users.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and ability to self-direct.
- Passion for engineering development, creativity, intellectual curiosity.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with SQL and Python.
- Demonstrated experience with ETL/ELT processes and database management.
- Experience working with data in various formats including JSON, CSV, etc.
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (Snowflake, GCP, Azure, etc.) is a plus.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent.
- Understanding of and passion for baseball and baseball research.
- Ability to work extended hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.