This Talent Acquisition Specialist will be responsible for providing full life cycle recruiting and staffing support for Baseball Operations. They will work closely and collaboratively with department heads to customize sourcing and recruiting strategies to generate a robust and diverse pipeline of talented candidates. This role will report dually into People & Culture and Baseball Operations.
They will be expected to truly integrate within both departments, immersing into the People & Culture team for functional oversight from a talent acquisition perspective and baseball ops for delivering value to the baseball side of our business.
- Develop a strategic approach to identifying, attracting, engaging, and acquiring top talent for all open and prospective positions within Baseball Operations.
- Utilize recruiting and sourcing tools such as job boards, social media, resume databases, baseball-related websites, and search engines to identify local and national candidates.
- Build close relationships with historically Black colleges & universities and other diverse institutions to help create an employer brand and pipeline of talent.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the functions and goals of every area of Baseball Operations, the culture of the department, how the groups within it work together, and the roles and contributions of all baseball operations staff.
- Create networks within the baseball industry to identify, track, and source candidates. Leverage the networks of others within Baseball Operations to do the same and consolidate information so that it can be used efficiently and strategically.
- Conduct research and maintain a database of individuals in various baseball and softball operations roles throughout the industry. This should be done at the professional and college levels, in sports media, and in the realm of independent consultants/practitioners to help with proactive sourcing efforts.
- Research and stay current on staffing and hiring practices of other MLB clubs, with an eye toward gaining competitive advantages for the Red Sox.
- Identify key individuals/potential targets from other clubs to fill current and future fits with the Red Sox, while adhering to MLB’s anti-tampering policies.
- Identify internal candidates for opportunities in Baseball Operations (example – suggesting to the Farm Director that we consider a particular amateur scout for an open coaching position in player development).
- Plan and execute the interview process, including candidate screening, pre-hire assessments, coordinating/scheduling interviews, and candidate feedback/evaluations.
- Ensure a high touch candidate experience through thorough communication and timely feedback, as well as interviewer preparedness and effective interview format.
- Assist managers in making hiring recommendations and executing the offer & contract process.
- In collaboration with other Baseball Ops staff members, lead the recruiting process for the Baseball Operations Associate program, Summer Internship and David Ortiz Fellowship program.
- Stay current on federal and state laws regarding employment and hiring practices.
- Partner with MLB’s network of People & Culture & DEI&B professionals to share best practices and develop a network within the baseball community.
- Attend Winter Meetings and other job fairs to represent the Red Sox in identifying future talent.
- Attend spring training as needed each year. Occasional travel to minor league affiliates and scouting events.
- Assist with recruiting efforts outside of Baseball Operations if need arises and time permits.
CHARACTERISTICS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of proven work experience in full life cycle talent acquisition OR prior experience working within baseball or other sport operations roles with a desire to focus on talent acquisition and a skill set that shows strong aptitude for recruiting.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in sourcing and generating diverse pipelines of talent is preferred.
- In-depth experience using applicant tracking systems preferred.
- High energy personality and strong relationship building skills for building trust and credibility with both candidates and hiring managers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective time management skills and detail orientation to organize all components of recruiting searches.
- Track record of improving upon current processes, implementing new ways of doing things, and leading a culture of continuous improvement, especially as it relates to sourcing and recruiting talent.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, religious creed, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, disability, military/veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or protected genetic information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.