Reports To: Director, Baseball Strategy
This position is responsible for assisting in the creation of analytical tools to support decision-making in Baseball Operations, with a focus on labor market economics and asset valuation. The employee will work closely with the professional scouting and analytics departments to inform strategic thinking.
· Research economic issues pertaining to roster construction and player acquisition.
· Design, analyze, and test interpretable predictive models and tools using R or Python.
· Execute SQL database queries to filter, clean and prepare data from existing database.
· Work with end users to understand modeling needs.
· Assist with database management.
· Perform other duties and ad-hoc reports as assigned.
· Completion of or progressing towards Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, or a related field. Applicants with a non-traditional educational background and experience will be considered as well.
· Familiarity with SQL.
· Familiarity with R or Python.
· Familiarity with MLB’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and transaction rules.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with staff members of all levels.
· Willingness to work non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, holidays).
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Baltimore Orioles are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.