The Director of Legal Affairs' primary responsibilities will be to direct and manage legal services for the Company including the NHL Minnesota Wild Hockey Club, the AHL Iowa Wild Hockey Club, the Saint Paul Arena Company (SPAC), which operates the Xcel Energy Center, the Saint Paul RiverCentre, Treasure Island Center and Venture 32 which operates the State of Hockey brand (collectively, the “Minnesota Wild Entities”). These legal services will include contract negotiations related to the hockey teams, contracts and agreements for concerts, family shows, sporting events, conventions, and other related events; service contract negotiations; workers compensation; employment laws; general liability and other legal matters of the Company.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent, direct, and negotiate legal matters for the Company.
- Coordinate with the Vice President and General Counsel, internal departments, and external clients from contract initiation through execution and final sign-off.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts for Minnesota Wild Entities including sponsorship agreements, suite license agreements, employment agreements, television and broadcast agreements, event contracts, vendor contracts, promotional contracts, concessionaire, and merchandising contracts.
- Handle all Data Privacy matters for the Minnesota Wild Entities.
- Coordinate obtaining music licensing agreements and compliance with such
- Work closely with the Vice President and General Counsel on managing active litigation, assisting with NHL Matters as well as large ownership and global projects.
- Represent and handle all intellectual property issues for the Minnesota Wild Entities, including the filing and renewals of trademarks, as well as monitoring and protecting the use of such marks as needed.
- Represent the Minnesota Wild Entities on all legal matters pertaining to litigation, including employment legal matters filed against the team or arena, collection matters and litigation defense of matters.
- Interface with applicable internal departments to develop contractual documents for specific departments.
- Ensure that the Minnesota Wild Entities’ active social media presence adheres to evolving governmental rules and regulations, proactively reviewing social media presence to ensure full legal compliance.
- Prepare and coordinate trademark filings and renewal efforts for the Minnesota Wild Entities. Maintain and update master contract database and filing system.
- Conduct research on a variety of legal topics including social media rules and regulations.
- Maintain current knowledge and familiarity with laws, regulations, and precedents.
- Partner with internal teams in addition to coordinating with external insurance brokers, carriers, National Hockey League personnel, team sponsors and city government personnel.
- Other duties as deemed necessary or as directed.
Required Knowledge/Skills/Job Qualifications:
- Extensive experience in the corporate legal environment with a focus on the entertainment/sports industry and related business affairs.
- Significant successful similar and compatible event experience, business experience or similar event experience preferred.
- Knowledge of sports and entertainment law.
- Must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Proven outstanding research and writing skills required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills required.
- Required to have a broad and practical knowledge of the law, including knowledge or law as it relates to sports and entertainment.
- Must have a mature and sound judgment while collaborating with internal stakeholders.
- Proven to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion.
- Relevant experience in negotiating and contracting event and service contracts.
- Proven effective management of multiple related areas.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in developing and coordinating multi-faceted plans and issues.
- Demonstrated sound organizational, coordinating and personal interface skills.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven job reliability, diligence, dedication and attention to detail.
Education and Formal Training:
- Licensed Attorney at Law in Minnesota
- Jurisprudence Degree from a leading law school
- Membership in the Minnesota Bar Association
- A minimum 7-10 years of post-bar experience directly relevant to the above tasks with a demonstrated track record of success.
- Significant experience working in the sports and entertainment industry is strongly preferred.
- Primary duties are performed within an office environment.
- Significant prolonged periods of time spent using a computer.
- Must be available to work flexible hours and schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Work is primarily sedentary in nature. Physical requirements include sitting, walking, standing, bending, lifting heavy objects, squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting, lifting, grasping, etc.
- We strive to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and seek to employ a workforce that is representative of our entire audience. Our goal is to make hockey available to all who wish to play.
- Our company is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require an accommodation to participate in the application process or perform the essential functions of the job, please contact [HR contact or designated individual] to request an accommodation. We will engage in an interactive process to assess your needs and provide appropriate accommodations to enable you to perform the essential functions of the position unless it would cause an undue hardship.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment. We value diversity and inclusion in our workplace and promote a work environment that respects and supports individuals without bias.