The Lions, much like the city and community they represent, are built on a blue-collar work ethic that values hustle and conviction.
Ford Field, the home of the Lions since 2002 in the heart of Detroit, is part of a vibrant sports and entertainment district featuring all four major professional sports franchises. Ford Field is also home to a dedicated and passionate multi-generational fan base reflective of the innovation, creativity and drive synonymous with Detroit.
Under the leadership of Sheila Hamp, the great granddaughter of Henry Ford, the Lions have ushered in an era of rebirth focused on creating an inclusive and equitable experience for employees, partners and fans. Building off the rich and diverse history of the city, the Lions embrace transparency and value contribution from all areas of the organization. We believe in the power of a pride, and acknowledge winning together takes understanding, acceptance, and teamwork. We believe in our “we” culture and are committed to building a new tradition that Detroit and Michigan can be proud of.
One Pride. For All.
The Player & Legend Relations Intern will support Player & Legend Relations, Community Relations and Detroit Lions Foundation department in the development and implementation of community engagement. The intern will work closely with the department and club affiliates to ensure successful implementation of NFL programming and that Detroit Lions Community Relations department objectives are met.
This is a full-time internship working approximately 40 hours per week, along with all home games and occasional weekends and holidays. The internship would begin in July and conclude at the end of the 2024/2025 season – with potential for extension into the post-season. This position is based in the Allen Park Training Facility with occasional docking at Ford Field. This is a paid position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (including, but not limited to):
The Player & Legend Relations Intern position will have daily responsibilities including, without limitation, the following:
- Assist in the development and execution of community and club events that promote philanthropic and charity objectives including physical setup/breakdown of equipment, distributing giveaways, event day paperwork, and other equipment/supplies as needed.
- Manage donation requests—providing timely responses, shipping and tracking to support events/causes that align with Player/Legend philanthropic missions.
- Support player and coach engagement – leveraging player off days and maximizing opportunities to strengthen player philanthropic and charity objectives, creating increased alignment between Player, Legends, and Community Relations programming.
- Assist Player & Legend Relations, Community Relations, and Detroit Lions Foundation full-time staff in daily administrative operations as it relates to Detroit Lions Community Relations and Foundation efforts.
- Assist with Player & Legends engagement, activation and hospitality during games and other team related events at Ford Field and Allen Park.
- Create event outlines, timelines, layouts, maps and various other planning documents for all events.
- Assist with the Community Relations activations at all home games, including 50/50 raffle.
- Assist with managing grant application, reporting and disbursement process for Detroit Lions Foundation.
- Collect and organize photos of players and community participants for use in annual report, on website and other team materials.
- Fulfill administrative duties such as data entry, correspondence, facilitating meetings, procurement and care of operational supplies, general communication with staff, and other office and event responsibilities as necessary.
- Will adjust work schedule to meet departmental demands, including being available to work a non-standard schedule in support of football operations, events, and other Community Relations activities, including holidays and weekends as needed.
- Will accept other responsibilities and duties required by the manager consistent with the objectives and essential functions of this position. Such responsibilities shall be incorporated into the position description if they are ongoing.
- Senior/Graduate with a focus in Sports Management, Marketing, Business or Communication or a recent graduate with a Bachelor’s (or greater) Degree in Sports Management, Marketing, Business, Communications preferred.
- A valid Driver’s License and a good driving record
- Experience working with collegiate or professional athletes (professional preferred).
- Experience working in diverse environments with the ability to connect with individuals of all statures. Interacts with employees, community partners, and club affiliates in a professional manner
- Experience in event management and/or hospitality preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays required.
- Strong strategic thinker and problem solver with exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible and able to contribute effectively as part of a professional team.
- Ability to work accurately, with interruptions, to meet aggressive deadlines and handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, initiative, good judgment and discretion
- Exemplary interpersonal, listening and facilitation skills.
- Excellent energy and enthusiasm, and passion for outreach and engagement.
- Self-motivated and committed to excellence.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism while interacting with high-profile individuals and external partners.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume along with a cover letter detailing your interest and related experience to the position.
Due to the high volume or resumes received, we regret that we are unable to update candidates on the status of their application. Those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.