The Underground Line Cook will be led by the Director of Culinary Nutrition and work with the Performance Nutrition Staff collaboratively. The Line Cook will prepare and cook meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, and sauces in a professional kitchen setting. You must be prepared to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure work environment while maintaining excellent organization, elevated presentation, and attention to detail in all aspects of the kitchen. The Underground Line Cook must work well as a team member, welcome the challenges that come with a dynamic workplace, follow and promote all safety procedures, take direction from leadership to maintain service and food at the highest standard.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General culinary operational knowledge including upholding high standards for quality and taste of food while also adhering to safety, hygiene, and health standards
- Multitasking when necessary, to complete projects in a timely and efficient manner
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of high volume cooking skills including - preparing meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, and sauces
- Experience with menu development, cross-utilization of product, high volume prep and kitchen cleaning
- Advanced knife skills - cutting, chopping, carving, dicing, etc
- Ability to fill-in at other stations in the absence of the chef
- Critical thinking skills. Thinking and assessing situations quickly to adapt to last minute changes
- Have a knowledge of allergen substitutions and preventing cross-contamination
- Take inventory of your station to ensure success for the next service and reduce food waste
- Arrive to work ahead of scheduled time to ensure readiness and preparedness
- Bring a positive attitude to work everyday
- Embrace a culture of inclusion and diversity where guests and team members feel welcomed, valued, and heard
- Listen with the intent to understand, as well as ask questions
- Communicate to be understood. Be intentional with your words and actions
- Embrace change and challenges as a natural progression of life
- Start each day with a “We before Me” mindset (teamwork)
- Maintain discipline and consistency with foundational tasks (the little things)
- Work at an efficient and effective pace, ensuring timely preparation of all meals and tasks (sense of urgency)
- Support the Performance Nutrition Staff
- Enrich lives by creating winning experiences and timeless memories
- Stay productive at all times and prepare for future needs as time allows
- Demonstrate flexibility and volunteer to fill open shifts as required by variations in staffing
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention
- Adhere to all regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials and fire safety
- Have an in depth understanding of proper portion size as well as proper temperature serving standards
- Operate with an emphasis on safety for employees, teams, and guests
- Attention to Safety – Driving results while maintaining a safe environment for self and others.
- Action Oriented - Taking on new opportunities and rough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates Effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Ensures Accountability - Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Coachability – Professional improvement from participating in conversations regarding constructive feedback.
- Experience in a professional kitchen setting (min. 1 year)
- ServSafe Certification
- Hospitality-related kitchen experience is preferred
- Highly flexible with availability, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate business requirements, will require evening and weekend work schedules
- This person must be able to communicate and express themselves both written and verbally
- This person must be able to observe, inspect, estimate and assess
- This person must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Occasional lifting up to 70 lbs., repetitive arm, hand and finger movements, occasional bending and reaching
- Will be exposed to hot and cold temperatures, such as when working near ovens or retrieving food from freezers
- Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances