The position is to be a key contributor to the Youth Programs team while ensuring all work is consistent with the Sporting KC brand purpose: “We create memories through personalized experiences with our Club.”
Sporting Kansas City internships allow students or recent graduates to hold a temporary position within the organization, with emphasis on training and gathering practical experience in their field of specialization by doing a variety of tasks as assigned by their Team Lead. The Youth Programs intern will gain hands-on experience working with the team by helping to further develop our programming in the Kansas City and surrounding areas.
This is an unpaid, educational internship opportunity. All SKC interns must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Sports Management or related field, or must have recently achieved their bachelor’s degree in a related field and be able to receive academic credit through their college or university degree program.
- Work in a team environment to further enhance our overall strategy and philosophy of play for children ages two to fourteen years old, typically in groups of 10 children per class, at facilities throughout the greater Kansas City metropolitan area.
- Lead and assist with 45–60 minute training sessions that are both fun and engaging.
- Take a child-centered approach in coaching children how to enjoy the game of soccer at its earliest foundation.
- Emphasize and promote the importance of active and healthy lifestyles.
- Travel to and from various facilities to help maintain and operate programming.
- Be able to travel to various cities throughout the Midwest and represent Sporting KC Youth Programs in a camp setting.
- Attend all Sporting Kansas City home games, as well as non-soccer related events.
- Represent Sporting Kansas City and its related affiliates in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Match Day Responsibilities
- Associates act as representatives of Sporting Kansas City at all home matches, engaging with guests and working to create Magic Moments for all fans.
- Strong organizational, communications and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Exceptional attention to detail, and talent for accuracy and precision.
- Professional appearance and attitude, as well as the ability to work with others.
Skills and Experience
- Currently Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in applicable major to Youth Programs
- Prefer candidates with experience working with children
- Prefer candidates with coaching experience
- Able to work on projects alone and present in front of a group
- Must be able to fluently speak, read, and write the English language.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Calendar.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Required to sit, stand and walk.
- Frequent stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Required to talk and hear consistently.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.