Position: People and Culture + DEI Intern
Department: People and Culture (HR)
Reporting To: Sr Manager, People and Culture
Timeline: June - April
We are building a championship organization that serves our fans, community and business partners through world class sports and entertainment. We believe that Winning Matters, our Fans come first, with risk comes reward, great teams can achieve unimaginable results, honoring the Pacific Northwest is our duty and driving the business is our responsibility.
Since the team was awarded in 2018 through to our first puck drop in 2021, the Kraken brand has become one of the most recognized and beloved in the NHL. Playing at Climate Pledge Arena, the most sustainable arena in the world, we want to provide a memorable experience every night and make fans for life. Our joint foundation, One Roof Foundation aims to advance equity and sustainability by increasing opportunities to thrive for our most vulnerable young people and communities.
To inspire a passion for learning and empower future leaders in a safe environment where they are valued for their individuality and diverse capabilities.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Hiring:
The Seattle Kraken aspire to write a new playbook in sports and entertainment that includes everyone. In alignment with this vision, if you don’t meet every job requirement listed—or if you haven’t played ice hockey before or are still learning about the sport—we still encourage you to apply. We understand you may bring other relevant experiences and expertise to help us become the highest performance organization we can be. One of our core values is ‘Make Us Better’ and we recognize diversity, equity and inclusion as a critical business strategy.
If you’d like to request an accommodation in the application or interview process, please let us know by emailing: [email protected].
The People & Culture and DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) Intern will have exposure to several areas across the department including recruiting, onboarding, benefits, DEI initiatives, engagement, office administration, and more. This role will interact with all teams and colleagues of all levels. The ideal candidate is organized, adaptable, and passionate about helping others.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support full cycle recruiting for the Seattle Kraken and Kraken Community Iceplex.
- Help drive engagement and training efforts.
- Work with team members to plan and execute DEI projects focused on Equitable Hiring, Employee Resource Groups, Internship & Fellowship Programs, and heritage & history months.
- Support in-game DEI-related programming, particularly for theme and celebration nights.
- Assist with employee events and gift distribution, including ordering and tracking of inventory.
- Collaborate on administering and improving new hire orientations, the onboarding process, and the offboarding process.
- Support benefits administration, including assisting with Open Enrollment.
- Research and provide suggestions on health & wellness resources.
- Provide occasional office and front desk support as needed, by greeting guests, forwarding voicemails, sorting mail and ordering office supplies.
- Support the team with other initiatives and programs as needed.
What You Will Learn:
- How DEI plays a vital role in the goals of the Kraken organization and how those initiatives are supported by the People & Culture team.
- Different recruiting strategies and the hiring process from start to finish.
- Why engagement is important for employee retention and productivity.
- How to review benefit plans and make decisions on what to offer employees.
- What it’s like to work in and support a fast-paced, highly visible professional sports environment.
- Creative and solution focused individual.
- Must be adaptable with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an expert ability to present and communicate new ideas and concepts.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining a high level of attention to detail, accuracy in work product, and focus on service.
- Confident in working both independently and as a team.
- A high degree of personal integrity, sound judgement in decision-making, discretion with confidential matter and sensitive information, and consistently puts the interests of the organization first.
Compensation & Perks:
- In accordance with Washington’s Equal Pay and Opportunity Act, the pay range for the position is $20-$22/hr. Actual base pay will depend on the employee’s experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
- Company-paid Orca card.
- Company-wide recognition platform.
- Corporate office located at the Kraken Community Iceplex in Northgate; within walking distance of the Northgate Light Rail Station and Northgate Transit Center; free parking.
- This role is based on-site in our Seattle office and requires work to be performed in person. However, we do value flexibility as the business will allow, and offer occasional opportunities to work from home.
- Minimal Travel (<10% travel): May be required to travel. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule inclusive of weekends, nights and holidays required.
- Frequent bending, lifting 15-20 pounds, sitting, exposure to multiple external elements, extensive walking through the building including inclines and stairs.
- Must have transportation to and from events.
Seattle Hockey Partners, LLC and Seattle Arena Company, LLC are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.