Position: Performance Nutrition Associate (Affiliate)
Reports To: Director of Performance Nutrition
Status: Seasonal, hourly
Location: (Sacramento CA, Richmond VA, Eugene OR, or San Jose CA)
The San Francisco Giants are seeking 4 Performance Nutrition Associates are responsible for implementing the San Francisco Giants Performance Nutrition philosophy at their assigned affiliate team. This person will oversee one of the San Francisco Giants Affiliate teams Sacramento CA, Richmond VA, Eugene OR, or San Jose CA, and will travel with the team. This is a seasonal contract hourly position that will run through the 2024 Minor League season (September 30th, 2024) and a housing stipend would be provided.
Performance Nutrition, Education and Program Development:
- With support from the Director of Performance Nutrition and MiLB Performance Dietitians, this position will implement the San Francisco Giants Nutrition Program at a specific affiliate location. This may include aspects of the team’s performance nutrition including education, medical nutrition therapy, counseling, practice and competition fueling, coordinating catering, overseeing meals, working closely with the clubhouse staff and home food service supplier, if applicable, and assisting with operational and administrative tasks
- Assess and analyze dietary habits, body composition, hydration status, and energy balance of players with regards to their athletic performance
- Under oversight of the Director of Performance Nutrition and MiLB Performance RD’s; conduct nutrition consultations to provide individualized nutrition strategies for players based on needs and/or goals.
- Provide regular education in the clubhouse with the flexibility to create nutrition education pieces focusing on optimizing performance and recovery and any additional nutrition topics that are the most pertinent topics to their team. Education may be in the form of created documents, presentations, digital communication and other various teaching methods
- Collaborate with the medical team to provide medical nutrition therapy to help manage and monitor medical conditions as well illness & injury recovery.
- Maintain effective communication regarding athlete nutrition with the Director of Performance Nutrition, strength and conditioning and medical departments.
- Monitor the use of supplements by each player, promoting the NSF Certified for Sport
- Managing Performance Fueling Station: stocking of supplements, tracking inventory, communicating inventory status to the Director of Performance Nutrition, cleaning, organization and other duties as necessary
- Communicate supplement stock and status to Director of Performance Nutrition for
- Collaborate with team physicians, field staff, coaches, athletic trainers, chefs and front office on athlete nutritional needs
- Integrate nutrition protocols and education with injured players and the injury rehabilitation staff
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Performance Nutrition
Food Service and Menu Development:
- Within the provided budget, responsible for coordinating and ordering pre- and post-game meals using the San Francisco Giants Performance Nutrition Culinary standards with caterers for home and road games
- Implement proper food safety and sanitation procedures at home facilities and on the road
- Ensure Clubhouse managers have appropriate snack choices and variety stocked within home and away clubhouses
- When applicable, assist Chefs with implementing menu based on nutrition guidelines created for the minor league complex and affiliates
Administrative and Reporting:
- Manage and track affiliate catering budget with oversight from Director of Performance Nutrition
- Responsible for managing corporate card and submitting a minimum of one expense report per week
- Document player discussion, education, interactions, body composition information in the appropriate databases no less than once per month.
- Participate in player development calls
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in clinical nutrition, food and nutrition, food science, sports nutrition or related expertise required, Masters Degree a plus
- Registered Dietitian (RD or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with active registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) Certification/Licensure as required by state of practice
- RD eligible may be considered
- 6 months of experience as a Sports Dietitian within a professional, private, or collegiate program preferred
- Previous experience in professional or collegiate baseball preferred
- Knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy, ergogenic aids, and supplementation
- Knowledge of food service quality and safety
- Compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- Excellent time management, organizational, communication, and record keeping
- Experience in menu development and culinary management a plus
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Self-motivator, ability to work independently as well as within a group
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
- Hours include nights, weekends, and some holidays
At the Giants, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition or disability, genetic condition, marital status, domestic partnership status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status and any other protected class under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.