Senior e-Commerce Digital Product Manager
Location: Old Trafford
At Manchester United our aim is to Win the United Way – and the quality of our behind-the scenes team sets us apart from the competition.
Our people are as committed to the success of the company as the players are to winning trophies. We offer a unique and exciting working environment, excellent training, with recognition and rewards for the part each individual plays. Sounding good so far?
The Senior eCommerce Digital Product Manager will play a critical role in defining Manchester United’s digital commerce portfolio. In this role you will be responsible for digital product planning, development and implementation of new global ecommerce digital products, and delivering enhancements across a range of channels including responsive web and mobile apps. This role will involve managing features through the product life cycle; helping to define the product vision, gathering and prioritising requirements, and working closely with technology and platform suppliers, developers, the UX team, and key stakeholders to deliver and maintain commerce solutions that meet the needs of the business and fans.
The role requires the candidate to work extensively with merchandise, venue, marketing, customer care, legal, CRM, and analytics teams to ensure we are fully considering all aspects of a multi-channel commerce solution and identify ways to optimise the conversion funnel. This position requires a level of strategic thinking, but also requires the capability to shift into the details to make informed decisions where required. The ideal candidate should be technically minded, with extensive ecommerce experience, as the role will often require the individual to get involved in helping to define and configure services with 3rd Party technical suppliers, platform partners, and vendors.
The Senior eCommerce Digital Product manager should be passionate about building commerce products and journeys that customers love, working to transform the way our fans purchase products from Manchester United.
- Digital Product Vision, Strategy, and Roadmap planning to deliver a world-leading global sports e-commerce marketplace that meets and exceeds business plans.
- Develop a deep understanding of platform capabilities and the needs of the merchandise and venue teams, as well as an understanding of our fans, to help define and deliver long-term roadmap and income opportunities.
- Work with business stakeholders to understand needs and create solutions that facilitate objectives.
- Understand the value of the consumer commercial experience while balancing revenue opportunities and technical feasibility when developing requirements for products.
- Define functional specifications that outline the objectives and detailed requirements that can be understood and acted upon by engineering and design teams.
- Lead cross-functional teams in a semi-agile environment to successfully bring full-stack consumer facing products to market.
- Work closely with the UX team to ensure the consumer experience is considered as a priority. Use quantitative and qualitative user research and data-driven insight to drive direction, as well as monitor user feedback channels to ensure customer expectations are met and to help inform future decision making.
- Ensure tracking and primary metrics are in place. Define and challenge what these metrics should be and present these with recommendations to key stakeholders.
- Make product decisions based on data driven evidence that provides a clear rationale why features should, and should not, be prioritised.
- Test hypotheses and utilise variant testing to find answers quickly and reduce risk, ensuring we back the right investment decisions to drive overall product success.
- Organise, prioritise, and manage often conflicting product dimensions while working independently in a deadline driven environment.
- Own the validation & success criteria of all features within the backlog, to ensure what is being developed is right for the fan and the business.
- Own and maintain relationships with suppliers, partners, and vendors, ensuring they meet their commitments.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical concepts and/or information to internal and external stakeholders and suppliers.
- Ability to understand key technology and architectural capabilities and constraints of our platforms to facilitate decision-making.
- Evaluate and challenge key performance indicators of our product(s) and suggest optimisation strategies to increase them appropriately.
- Participate in the evaluation of new technologies and opportunities for integration in our platforms.
- Conduct competitive analysis and identify areas for product differentiation and enhancement.
- Build positive relationships and trust with other parts of the business through communication and collaboration. Radiate visibility of the roadmap, features, and rationale to wide audiences.
- Extensive experience working as a Senior Product Manager in a global digital commerce focused business environment.
- Ideal candidate has experience in not only product managing an existing commerce platform but has been involved in the build and deployment of a commerce platform across web and app channels.
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful global product throughout its lifecycle and delivering significant growth.
- Experience and involvement in full-stack commerce platforms, including front-end consumer experience, data Integrations, CMS & payment gateways.
- Ideally has experience in delivering commerce solutions for both physical products, and for digital products (such as digital subscriptions, etickets etc).
- Fantastic verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively across all levels in the organisation.
- Proven ability to develop product strategies and effectively communicate these to executive management.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, including assessing situations, evaluating options, and providing qualified recommendations.
- Ability to multitask and manage priorities based on opportunity, identified risks, and impact to business.
- Flexible and pragmatic working styles to adapt to various personalities in cross-functional teams.
- Drive for product innovation and excellence & passionate about creating innovative new consumer experiences.
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in app development, responsive web technologies, and back-end operational platforms.
- Proven ability to use data analytics, research and testing methodologies to drive business decisions.
- An understanding of project management; process oriented, organised and detailed & the ability to manage a budget, ensuring that key value is delivered within cost / timescales agreed.
If you would like to join the team and be part of our mission, to win the United way, please submit your application by 6th February 2024.
Manchester United endeavour to respond to all job application, however, please consider that we receive a high volume of applications and this may not always possible.
We recognise the importance of safeguarding children and adults at risk at Manchester United, as part of this commitment this post is required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check at the appropriate level, as well as full reference history.
Manchester United is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to background, ethnicity, race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or other legally protected characteristics.
Manchester United Football Club are proud to be a signatory of the Armed Forces Covenant, supporting the armed forces community to transition into careers outside of the armed forces.
Manchester United is committed to working with and providing reasonable adjustments for applicants and employees. If you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application and perform at your best, please do not hesitate to contact us to make a request; we are here to help.
It is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to you before applying for any of our roles. Your personal data will be processed on MU’s behalf by Morson.