We are looking for a highly experienced, and enthusiastic candidate that recognises the fantastic opportunity to be an interim Head Physiotherapist at Manchester United, until the end of the season. This is an opportunity to work with world class players in elite training and medical facilities. The successful candidate will innovate with training & medical techniques to create a competitive edge against rivals. This person will have a proven track record of leading and developing physiotherapy services within elite sport.
To lead in the development of Physical Therapy provision at Manchester United within the Women’s First Team and Professional Game Academy (WU21 & WU16). To ensure the quality of injury prevention, rehabilitation and performance support reflect the ambitions of the club to be World Leading. To contribute to the development of process and practices across the Physical Therapies department.
- To lead the physiotherapy department to deliver world class care to Manchester United players by collaborating with other Club Physiotherapists, Club Doctors, Club Paramedical consultants, Masseurs, Osteopaths, Podiatrists and external healthcare professionals
- To lead collaboration with Football Coaches, Club Doctors, Performance Coaches, Strength and Conditioning Coaches and Sports Scientists regarding the availability of Players for football training, game selection, and Strength and Conditioning programmes.
- To ensure that full physical screening and physiotherapy records are kept in accordance with the Manchester United Physiotherapy Service Standards.
- To maintain compliance with relevant Professional Practice Standards and Club Service Standards (including the Manchester United Physiotherapy Service Standards).
- To lead and organise (via delegation where appropriate) the Injury Prevention Programme for Players in conjunction with the Women’s Team Doctor, Football Coaches, Performance Coach, Sports Scientists, Physiotherapy colleagues and other Physical Therapy practitioners.
- In conjunction with Physiotherapy colleagues, to oversee the daily provision of Soft Tissue Therapy/Massage services for Professional Players.
- To assist with match-day preparation for Women’s Team fixtures including emergency injury care as and when required.
- Regular reporting on team injury profiles to the Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy for Professional Development and Review purposes.
- Liaise with line managers for personal and departmental research support/supervision and professional mentoring as needed.
- To liaise with line managers to identify areas in which the department and field can be developed i.e. by commissioning research projects, sitting on expert groups etc
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy Degree (or equivalent)
- Health and Care Professions Council Registration (HCPC)
- Proven track record in provision of Medical and Physical Therapy services at Department Head/Lead level within an elite sports medicine department.
- Extensive experience in Advanced Resuscitation and Emergency Aid procedures for Football (demonstrated by up-to-date FA ATMMiF level 5 certification/qualification or equivalent).
- Excellent clinical reasoning skills.
- Demonstrable ability to work as an effective and influential leader within a multidisciplinary Football Medicine and Science Team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to advise, build trust with and motivate athletes.
- Sound experience in the organisation and delivery of acute, mid and end stage Injury Prevention strategies.
- Sound experience of staff line management and appraisal processes.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant scientific evidence/research.
- Competence in Information Technology systems utilised in Sports Medical, Scientific and Performance data recording and standard Administration/Word Processing/Database and Presentation software.
- A commitment to driving continuous improvement personally and in the working environment.
- Sound personal qualities including effective communication and diplomacy skills, self-motivation, enthusiasm and ability to work under pressure.
- Masters’ qualification in a relevant Sports Medical/Science discipline (desirable)
If you would like to join the team and be part of our mission, to win the United way, please submit your application by Wednesday 14th February.
Manchester United endeavour to respond to all job application, however, please consider that we receive a high volume of applications and this may not always possible.
We recognise the importance of safeguarding children and adults at risk at Manchester United, as part of this commitment this post is required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check at the appropriate level, as well as full reference history.
Manchester United is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to background, ethnicity, race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status or other legally protected characteristics.
Manchester United Football Club are proud to be a signatory of the Armed Forces Covenant, supporting the armed forces community to transition into careers outside of the armed forces.
Manchester United is committed to working with and providing reasonable adjustments for applicants and employees. If you require any reasonable adjustments to support your application and perform at your best, please do not hesitate to contact us to make a request; we are here to help.
It is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to you before applying for any of our roles. Your personal data will be processed on MU’s behalf by Morson.