The Lions, much like the city and community they represent, are built on a blue-collar work ethic that values hustle and conviction.
Ford Field, the home of the Lions since 2002 in the heart of Detroit, is part of a vibrant sports and entertainment district featuring all four major professional sports franchises. Ford Field is also home to a dedicated and passionate multi-generational fan base reflective of the innovation, creativity and drive synonymous with Detroit.
Under the leadership of Sheila Hamp, the great granddaughter of Henry Ford, the Lions have ushered in an era of rebirth focused on creating an inclusive and equitable experience for employees, partners and fans. Building off the rich and diverse history of the city, the Lions embrace transparency and value contribution from all areas of the organization. We believe in the power of a pride, and acknowledge winning together takes understanding, acceptance, and teamwork. We believe in our “we” culture and are committed to building a new tradition that Detroit and Michigan can be proud of.
One Pride. For All.
The Director of Data Governance role is responsible for overseeing the organizations privacy related compliance, implementing data management processes and setting data governance standards. This includes managing and ensuring compliance with all relevant state, federal and league level privacy laws and regulations. To be successful in this role, a candidate must be knowledgeable in all matters related to information privacy including jurisdictional laws, regulations, enforcement models, compliance, terminology, policies, and privacy program development, and have the technical knowledge to address the Club’s various data sources.
The Director of Data Governance position will have daily responsibilities including, without limitation, the following:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive privacy and data governance program and defines, develops, maintains, and implements policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices that minimize risk and ensure the confidentiality of protected information, paper and/or electronic, across all media types
- Establish and oversee the data governance framework, including data quality, observability, data security, data privacy, and data lineage policies and procedures
- Design and implement data governance tools, processes, and controls to monitor and measure compliance with established policies and regulations
- Collaborate with executive leadership, data engineering, data science, legal and IT teams to ensure data governance initiatives are integrated and aligned across the organization
- Communicate with external stakeholders such as the league and partners to implement data processes, standards and best practices that guide the development of data integration and data sharing capabilities
- Works closely with the data team and other applicable organization units in overseeing customer rights to correct, access, delete, and limit use of sharing of personal data
- Lead the development and maintenance of data catalogues, data dictionaries, and metadata repositories to support consistent data usage and understanding
- Evaluate technologies that enable data governance capabilities with focus on cost efficiency and highest rate of return for the organization
- Manage budgets, resource plans, and project timelines for data governance initiatives
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal and state privacy laws and standards
- Ensure privacy forms, policies, standards and procedures are up to date
- Continuously evaluate the effectiveness of data governance efforts, adoption metrics and identify areas for improvement and innovation
- Performs or oversees initial and periodic information privacy risk assessment/analysis, mitigation, and remediation
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to develop, deliver, and oversee initial and ongoing privacy training to the organization
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (J.D. or graduate degree preferred)
- 7+ years’ experience designing, deploying, and managing Data Governance programs
- Certifications in Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT), and Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or other privacy certifications from the IAPP preferred
- Possess strong expertise in data management, a deep understanding of data governance best practices and the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and across the diverse experiences and perspectives of institutional leaders, data stewards, data scientists, analysts, and IT teams
- Outstanding cross-functional partnership and communication skills, including interacting with senior leadership and league data compliance team
- Demonstrated understanding of data privacy laws such as CPRA and/or GDP
- OneTrust Professional or Expert Certifications preferred
- Proficiency in the architecture of a modern data stack (ingestion, orchestration, storage, transformation, visualization, etc.)
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume along with a cover letter detailing your interest and related experience to the position.
Due to the high volume or resumes received, we regret that we are unable to update candidates on the status of their application. Those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.