TITLE: Assistant Director, Audience Development
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Marketing
MANAGES: Fan Engagement Coordinator
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
What resonates. What moves. What grows. What lasts. With whom, how and why.
The Assistant Director of Audience Development will answer these questions. This individual will help drive growth among both new and existing customers by executing a multi-layered fan engagement strategy. They’ll develop and manage seasonal promotions, special offers, activations, third party partnerships, cultural alliances and other tactical programs that appeal to specific audience segments. This position requires someone who deeply understands the customer journey, has worked cross-functionally to create and execute impactful marketing programs, is comfortable using data and testing to inform their decisions, and has a track record of finding fresh and creative ways to expand a customer base.
Experience in consumer marketing, customer acquisition strategy or growth marketing is required. Working knowledge of database marketing and audience segmentation is fundamental; however, this is not an analytics role. Curiosity, motivation and rigor are a must, a love for the Cubs is a big plus.
- Help identify the audiences that can expand and deepen the Cubs fanbase. This may be specific demographics, psychographics, communities and/or interest-driven groups.
- Guide the development of a fan engagement calendar [promotions, special ticket offers, theme nights, experiential activations, 3rd party partnerships and cultural moments] that will be leveraged to attract key audiences and drive ticket sales.
- Collaborate with marketing, ticketing, corporate partnerships, operations, DE&I and Cubs Charities to ensure the organization is focusing on the right fan engagement tactics at the right time, and that we are maximizing the potential impact of each one.
- Work with marketing, strategy and ticketing to ensure the value proposition for current ticket products and special offers, as well as possible future programs, align with the wants and needs of key audiences.
- Collaborate with marketing and ticketing to develop strategies for growing the season ticket waitlist and optimizing their conversion rate.
- Guide the Senior Coordinator of Promotions as they expand and enhance the Cubs U student ambassador program, identify third-party marketing partnerships and create promotional items.
- Support Senior Director, Marketing in necessary market research, fan segmentation and other analysis that provides the foundation for ‘futureproof’ fan marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field of study such as marketing, communications or business
- 5+ years of experience in customer acquisition, audience development or consumer marketing
- Track record of creative thinking that has led to increased revenue and brand success
- Understanding of consumer research, audience segmentation and database marketing
- Experience managing a cross-channel marketing calendar (paid, owned and earned)
- Understands the nuances of marketing to different generations and cultural groups
- Working knowledge of paid digital and social media’s impact on audience development, inclusive of targeting criteria, creative testing and KPIs across the funnel
- Experience leading and influencing cross-functional teams
- Ability to work a varied, non-standard schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Multicultural marketing experience
- 2+ years experience people management
- Fosters an inclusive and collaborative working environment
- Project management experience
- Budget management experience
- Experience managing agency relationships
- Familiarity with the sports/entertainment industries (music, fashion, art, etc)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.