POSITION TITLE: Assistant Athletic Trainer
DEPARTMENT: First Team Player Medical
REPORTS TO: VP of Sports Medicine & Head Athletic Trainer
TYPE: Full-Time Regular
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, Salary
DEADLINE TO APPLY: February 9, 2024
Seattle Sounders FC is a progressive high performing collection of people who strive to achieve the highest levels of our sport while making a transformative impact in our communities in the best soccer city in America. Our culture is focused on serving one of the most passionate sports fan bases in North America who are invested in the Sounders as much for our commitment to making a positive impact in our communities as they are for winning the 2019 MLS Cup and 2022 CONCACAF Champions League on home soil. We exist to create special moments like these, where we enrich lives and unify our fans and city through soccer.
This position will be primarily responsible for managing the health care, injury rehabilitation, and injury prevention for all Sounders FC players under the direction of the VP of Sports Medicine & Head Athletic Trainer, and in coordination with other first team medical providers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide medical assistance in managing the health care of first team players (i.e. rehabilitation, prevention, making medical referrals).
- Administer appropriate treatment (i.e., manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, passive modalities, return to sport testing, etc.) as devised through the rehabilitation plan.
- Maintain and update accurate medical records in the MLS EMR system (ARMS) daily.
- Consult with CMO and other relevant Medical Physicians to provide the best level of care for players.
- Collaborate closely with Athletic Trainers, Physical Therapists, Massage Therapist, Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, Performance Specialists, and Nutritionist to perform daily departmental tasks.
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully with colleagues in providing athlete medical and performance care within their respective job responsibilities.
- Work with Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists in documenting all medical treatments and interventions.
- Assist in ordering, maintaining, and inventorying supplies and clinical equipment.
- Keep athletic training room and clinic area safe, clean, and organized.
- Travel with players to appointments and surgeries when instructed by VP of Sports Medicine.
- Travel with first team to away games and preseason.
- Assist Development medical staff with Tacoma Defiance and Academy players when instructed by VP of Sports Medicine.
- Communicate with Development medical staff (Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists) and Performance staff assisting in the care of Tacoma Defiance and Academy players.
- Assist in miscellaneous tasks such as supporting Athletic Trainers during training/games, hydration intake, dietary consumption, operational daily tasks of the medical training room.
- Comply with all MLS medical policies and protocol.
- Comply with OSHA Standards with regards to blood borne pathogens.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills, with the ability to work with diverse groups - including Sounders FC players, coaches, team personnel and League staff.
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment.
- Strong organizational and personnel management skills.
- Willingness to pitch in with menial tasks as needed.
- Professional demeaner, punctual and reliable.
- Ability to work under pressure situations.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish / English) or Multi-lingual skills a plus.
- Have reliable means of transportation.
- A passion for soccer highly desired.
- Ability to work a varied schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Excellent cultural fit with the values of the organization, with a prior history of community involvement preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.).
Education, Experience, and Certifications
- Master’s degree (M.S.) in Athletic Training from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience working as an Athletic Trainer in elite level sports.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working for an MLS First Team preferred.
- Medical soccer experience preferred, but exception may be granted for experience in other elite level sports.
- NATABOC Certified Athletic Trainer.
- In good standing with NATABOC and a member of the NATA (or CATA).
- Washington State Department of Health License in Athletic Training.
- Possess personal professional liability insurance.
- Current professional CPR/AED certification.
- This position will work in-person from the Sounders FC Headquarters & training facility in Renton, WA.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must attend all 34+ Sounders matches and all training sessions.
- Must reside within Washington state upon date of hire.
- Must be able to facilitate own local travel. Occasional out-of-town travel will be required.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to busy athletic facility areas, outside weather conditions and loud noise levels. May require standing on feet for long periods of time, as well as some heavy lifting (20+ pounds).
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & PERKS
Seattle Sounders FC offers competitive compensation and an engaging, supportive environment that prioritizes the health and well-being of our people.
The annual salary range for this position is $70,000 - $75,000. Base pay at time of offer will take into account job-related knowledge, skills and experience required for the role, internal equity and market.
Our Total Rewards package for full-time team members includes:
- Healthcare plans with 100% employer sponsored premiums for employees and dependents
- Generous PTO plan that includes unlimited paid vacation, and offseason time off to support employee health and well-being
- 401k retirement plan matching
- Gender-neutral parental leave program offering 12-16 weeks of paid leave for new parents
- Discounts on Sounders FC products, merchandise and with Sounders FC Partners
- Complimentary tickets to Sounders FC and Tacoma Defiance matches
- Volunteer opportunities in the Seattle community offered in support of social impact and RAVE Foundation initiatives
- Growth opportunities, employee learning and development programs to support professional and personal growth