The FIFA World Cup 26™ will mark the first time that the tournament features 48 teams and will be hosted by three countries: Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
This new format redefines excellence, generating unique opportunities for greater participation and engagement from fans and players in North America and all over the world. Now is your time to be a game changer and join the workforce that is planning and delivering this unique and unforgettable experience.
Reporting organisationally to the Head of Guest Operations, the Protocol Manager will be a key member of the FIFA26 Operational Services team, and work in close collaboration with the FIFA Zurich Project team and other key individuals responsible for delivering guest operations efforts for the FIFA World Cup 2026 that for the first time ever, is hosting 48 teams and 1,200+ players across 3 countries and 16 venues. This role will be responsible for coordinating and maintaining a strategic overview of guest operations across the FIFA World Cup 2026. Further, this role will participate in the implementation strategy, tools, and operational plans for seamless provision of integrated event services (e.g., travel, transport, accommodation, hospitality) to FIFA guest groups.
The main responsibilities and oversights of the Protocol Manager for the FIFA World Cup 26™ include:
- Lead the scoping, planning and running of high-level Protocol services including liaising with Government Agencies and Embassies on invitation in addition to any other requirements for Guests attending the FIFA Men's World Cup 2026TM (FWC2026).
- Defining the relevant guest groups and the related levels of Protocol services for the FWC2026
- Defining state-of-the-art Protocol services as well as developing and conducting specific training on Protocol matters including special customs, behaviors and cultural considerations that are appropriate when hosting dignitaries and people in positions of influence and importance for event workforce, contractual partners, and service providers
- Act as the key contact for high-ranking dignitaries and government representatives in the lead up to and throughout FWC2026
- Define and implement Protocol Guidelines including decision making process and principles of VVIP Seating
- Develop and plan protocol requirements at all FWC2026 stadiums and have good knowledge of VVIP/VIP spaces including lounges, seating, drop-off zones and constituent flows
- Managing all protocol services, including preparing seating charts, advising on forms of address and ceremonial matters, welcoming guests, and arranging premium experiences
- Responsible for a successful transfer of knowledge and debriefing as required for the Guest Operations functional areas
- Work closely with FIFA Zurich counterparts to ensure all protocol services and processes are approved and align with tournament expectations
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Protocol sub-functions and report to management on activities and project outcomes as and when required
- Attending site visits and inspections
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (business administration, management, leadership, entrepreneurship)
- Postgraduate Education focusing on International Organizations or Sport Management preferred, but not required
- Extensive relevant work experience and strong knowledge of Protocol and/or experience engaging with people in particular positions of influence and importance such as politicians, academic representatives and C-Level business leaders
- 8+ years' in Protocol management
- Experience within a sport/event organisation or in a mega project, preferably a world class sport event
- Experience in working with Government departments/representatives
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of diplomacy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Project Management skills
- A collaborator who will foster good working relationships
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Good networking skills
- Time management and the ability to prioritize a varied workload
- Willingness to work outside core working hours (online workshops accommodating different time zones)
- Willingness to travel
- Fluent in English. Spanish proficiency is a plus
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio & Project) and planning software and online collaboration tools