Job Title: Mascot Performer
Reports To: Director of Event Operations
Employment Type: Part-Time, Hourly
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Role Type: 100% Individual Contributor
Seattle Sounders FC is a progressive high performing collection of people who strive to achieve the highest levels of our sport while making a transformative impact in our communities in the best soccer city in America. Our culture is focused on serving one of the most passionate sports fan bases in North America who are invested in the Sounders as much for our commitment to making a positive impact in our communities as they are for winning the 2019 MLS Cup and 2022 CONCACAF Champions League on home soil. We exist to create special moments like these, where we enrich lives and unify our fans and city through soccer.
Seattle Sounders FC is looking for a friendly, fun, and dynamic performer to provide entertainment as our orca whale mascot, Sammy the Sounder! Sammy the Sounders primarily interacts with young fans at Sounders FC home matches and various community events, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform as Sounders FC’s mascot— an orca named Sammy the Sounder— to promote the club by engaging with kids and entertainment-seeking adults. Mascot duties to include:
- Emulating the established quirks and characteristics of Sammy’s established persona
- Participating in photo-ops.
- Signing autographs.
- Seeking out opportunities to engage with fans.
- Miming and encouraging Sounders FC traditions, such as Boom Boom Clap and Scarves Up.
- Participating in Forever Green Kids Club events and matchday activations.
- Making appearances in the community.
- Act as a mascot “handler” for various events, when not performing as the mascot. Handler responsibilities to include:
- Ensuring mascot performers act on-brand.
- Communicating to fans, speaking on behalf of Sammy.
- Assisting in fixing costume issues.
- Dictating his presence and movement at an event, as well as his breaks.
- Capturing content of Sammy the Sounder during his appearances.
- Distributing Sammy the Sounder giveaways.
- Provide feedback to the Director following appearances to help improve fan engagement and the impact of activations.
- Assist with pick-up and drop-off of the costume as well as costume maintenance (Cleaning, basic repairs, etc.)
- Attend rehearsals as needed at Lumen Field, perform at Sounders FC home matches and at various events around the greater Seattle community.
- Maintain consistency of mannerisms, behaviors, and appearance across all events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 + years of age.
- 1+ years of customer service or event operations experience strongly
- Prior mascot or performing experience strongly preferred.
- Due to costume requirements, must be between 5’6” and 6’.
- Must enjoy interacting with fans and performing in front of crowds.
- Ability to effectively communicate non-verbally.
- Ability to make quick decisions and think critically under pressure.
- Must be capable of taking direction.
- Must be professional, responsible, and reliable.
- Passion and enthusiasm for soccer and Sounders FC strongly preferred.
- This position will work in-person, primarily working at Lumen Field on Sounders FC home matchdays, in addition to other, in-market events.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must reside within Washington state upon date of hire.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Employee must be able to lift 20+ pounds and is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, perform in various weather conditions, stoop, kneel, crouch and periodically kick soccer balls.