Reports to: Senior Director of Communications / Communications Graduate Assistant
Based at: PPG Paints Arena, 1001 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15219 & UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, 8000 Cranberry Springs Dr, Cranberry Township, PA 16066
Job Purpose: Observe and assist the media relations staff with day-to-day functions and on game nights within the department.
Requirements: Intern must be entering their junior or senior year in college and must take the internship for credit during the 2024 spring session. The internship is unpaid.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Interns will have interaction with executives of the Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey Club, visiting team personnel and local and national media outlets. The candidates will be expected to act in a professional manner at all times.
- Interns will gain experience and training in writing media releases and game notes.
- Interns will help to make and issue all media credentials that go to the various members of the print, television and radio media members.
- There will be 10-15 hours of office time per week as needed, depending on the team’s schedule.
- The ideal candidate will be available to work 2 out of every 3 homes games, during which they will observe and learn the process of setting up the media level, writing and compiling in-game and post-game notes during and after the game, running statistics to both coaching staffs, upper management and the media. Following the game, they will be involved in helping to set up all post-game interviews and gather sound to be posted on the team’s media-only website.
- Interns will learn the process involved in writing player section notes during home games as well as how to keep player statistics for various mediums.
- Ideal candidates should be proficient in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.