Job Title: Manager of Grounds
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Grounds, this position will be responsible for assisting in the supervision of the playing field at the ballpark; ensuring that the field is maintained in a safe manner, in accordance with team and MLB standards. Performs and delegates tasks on the playing field on a year-round basis for all baseball games and field events. This position may also require travel throughout the year.
· Manages the full-time and seasonal Grounds Crew Employees as assigned by the Sr. Director of Grounds, including but not limited to responsibility for, recruiting, hiring, training, day-to-day schedule and management, time review, assisting in disciplinary processes, and regularly directing employee’s work.
· Assist in planning, organizing, assigning, and supervising the work of grounds staff performing duties including, but not limited to field maintenance, landscaping, and irrigation work.
· Assist in the management and execution of field operation items including but not limited to tarping, skinned-area preparation, mounds, pre-game and post-game, fertilizer applications.
· Assessing the conditions of the playing field, delegating, and participating in needed year-round field maintenance practices and field preparation.
· Work closely with stadium operations staff and front office to help manage non-sports related events and off-season projects.
· Communicate clearly and effectively with home and visiting team managers, players, personnel, and MLB Umpires.
· Ensure the safe and proper operation of all equipment utilized.
· Establishes, implements, and ensures adherence to work safety policies and procedures; ensures health and safety procedures are observed, conducts safety inspections, and takes appropriate action to resolve safety issues.
· Traveling to team affiliates, Dominican Facility and Spring Training facility.
Qualifications, Skills, and Necessary Experience:
Position Qualifications, Skills, and Experience Required: preferred, and a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in groundskeeping. Flexibility and the ability to work non-standard hours, including evenings, weekends, and events.
· Ability to lift items weighing as much as 40 pounds
· Must be able to be productive in a work environment where the noise level can be high at times
· Specific vision abilities include close vision and ability to adjust focus
· Must be comfortable walking to navigate the facility to access the office, concourse, etc.
· Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as required by deadlines and event scheduling
The physical demands described here are representative of those that may be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time; walk; use hands, handle, or feel.
This role is a Full-Time, Exempt opportunity that is eligible for Company Benefits, 401K, and PTO.
We also afford equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability. For this reason, the Kansas City Royals will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant consistent with its legal obligations to do so, including reasonable accommodations applicable local, state and / or federal law. As part of its commitment to make reasonable accommodations, the Club also wishes to participate in a timely, good faith, interactive process with a disabled applicant to determine effective reasonable accommodations, if any, which can be made in response to a request for accommodations. Applicants are invited to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made to assist them to perform the essential functions of the position they seek. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions please inquire with Human Resources by email at [email protected].
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.