Members of the Baseball Systems Team at the Boston Red Sox are focused on designing, building, and refining the software and data pipelines used within Baseball Operations. These tools and applications are an integral part of the decision-making process, are directly integrated in the workflows of all departments within Baseball Operations, and provide an efficient, consistent, and accessible experience when interacting with our internal data sources and applications.
The Developer, Baseball Systems position will be a member of the baseball operations software development team, and is responsible for the design, development, and support, of all baseball systems. This individual will work closely with members of baseball operations to understand business requirements that drive the analysis, design, and development of quality baseball systems and solutions. This position is focused heavily on front-end development, and will collaborate closely with colleagues on the software development team and baseball operations personnel from all departments.
- Create leading-edge baseball solutions together with the software development team and others on new and existing baseball systems
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the software architecture and embrace a software engineering mindset
- Participate in key phases of the software development process of critical baseball applications, including requirements gathering, analysis, effort estimation, technical investigation, software design and implementation, testing, bug fixing, and quality assurance
- Responsible for the design and development of complex web-based user interfaces, web services, back-end logic, and other aspects of web applications
- Actively participate with other software developers in design reviews, code reviews, and other best practices
- Work closely at times with baseball analysts to design and implement solutions to their data needs
- Respond to and resolve technical problems and issues in a timely manner
- Identify and implement creative solutions for technical challenges
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 0-2 years of front-end development experience building web applications with frameworks such as Angular or React, and experience developing with Typescript, CSS, HTML, C#, ServiceStack, T-SQL, or similar technologies, is required.
- Experience with relational database design and development in SQL Server, Snowflake, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or similar technologies, is required.
- Experience building front-end visualizations using D3, chart.js, or similar, is a plus
- Experience developing with cloud technologies from Azure, GCP, or AWS are a plus
- Experience integrating systems and data using third-party APIs and services are a plus
- Ability to work autonomously and as a team in a fast paced environment
- High level of attention to detail with the ability to multi-task effectively
- Comfortable working remotely when required and using Zoom, Teams, Slack, Trello, and other tools to communicate with all team members
- High degree of professionalism and ability to maintain confidential information
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- An understanding of baseball, common terms, and analytic measures, is a plus
At the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Sports Management, we go beyond embracing diversity. We’re committed to living by our values, strengthening our community, and creating a workplace where people genuinely feel like they belong.
Too often, job seekers don’t apply to positions because they don’t meet every qualification. If you love this role and are great at what you do, we encourage you to apply. Your unique skills and experiences might just be what we’ve been looking for.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, religious creed, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, disability, military/veteran status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or protected genetic information.