The Columbus Blue Jackets are seeking an energetic individual who is enthusiastic and committed to promoting fan development and community partnerships to increase brand awareness and grow the game of hockey in central Ohio. The Youth Hockey & Community Outreach intern will be expected to lead and assist with key projects as assigned and take responsibility of daily tasks as outlined by the mentor. This internship will give the student a great first-hand experience (and portfolio materials) from the world of sports.
- Grassroots Hockey Initiatives – Provide day-to-day administrative tasks in preparation of and on-site support for entry level street/ice hockey programs for kids such as Summer Takeover, Get Out And Learn, and Learn to Play. Duties to include, but are not limited to, email/phone communication to parents and facility contacts, maintain registration and participant check-in process, source event giveaways, setup/tear down of clinics and hands-on instruction, as needed.
- Special Events – Provide support to Community Development Department (and Blue Jackets Foundation) around summer special events, including Recycle the Game/Equipment Sale, 4th of July Parade, Foundation Golf Classic, community festivals and mascot appearances.
- Marketing – Support Marketing department in community activations centered around strengthening the brand and broadening the base
- Social Media – Assist with CBJGivesBack social media through planned posts on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
- Knowledge and understanding of event planning.
- Understanding of basic guest relations and customer service techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of database management.
- Knowledge and understanding of fan development strategies.
- 25 hours per week to consist of weekday office hours, evening and/or weekends, and community events/appearances
- Internship timeline: May – August
- Must be enrolled in a college or university.
- Must receive college credit for internship.
- Basic knowledge in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Flexibility and willingness to work both traditional and non-traditional office hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Hockey experience and/or skating skills preferred, but not required.
* Please note this is an unpaid internship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.