The Portland Timbers and Providence Park are seeking an experienced HR professional who is ready to provide leadership and management in several areas of HR with an emphasis on the Benefits function. This is a dynamic role with the ability to have a positive impact on the organization through various HR functions. This role reports to the VP of HR. The ideal candidate has a firm understanding and confidence to lead the Benefits function and experience and/or the desire to use their skills across various HR functions.
The HR Manager is responsible for managing, developing and maintaining various aspects of the Human Resources function. There is a specific emphasis on the Benefits function and back-office administration and organization. The HR Manager will support and guidance to employees on various Human Resources issues. The HR Manager will also be responsible for implementing HR best practices and developing HR systems that will foster a high-performance culture. This role will have strategic influence on the company benefits program. This position must be able to interface with all levels of the organization including all department Heads and external contacts in a timely and efficient manner.
Essential Functions/ Major Responsibilities:
- Participate in the identification, development and implementation of HR strategies associated with accomplishing business objectives. Implement HR strategies to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Direct and manage benefit administration / benefit renewal process as well as Cobra and Leave management and administration. Serve as main point of contact for benefit vendors.
- Provide expertise, leadership and management of the administrative, organizational and record keeping responsibilities of the HR function.
- Help the department execute effective HR systems and processes to include recruitment, job descriptions, employer policies, training and development, performance management and benefit and compensation programs to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization.
- Help execute a highly effective onboarding program that emphasizes the critical importance and value of integrating new employee’s into the corporate and sports culture.
- Ensure Human Resources policies and practices are consistent with and support the organization’s mission and are in compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Communicate changes of policies, procedures, benefits, etc.
- Facilitate talent management and performance management activities. Align performance management and reward systems to drive and reinforce behaviors.
- At times post positions and source applicants on Teamwork. Participate in the selection and onboarding of key positions including managers, supervisors and others as necessary.
- At times conduct new hire orientations and exit interviews.
- Provide advice and counsel to leadership on HR related matters, specifically areas of expertise like benefits, leaves, etc. Serve as a coach, and mentor to senior leaders, managers and employees.
- Coordinate and/or conduct management training in hiring, performance management, HR compliance and leadership.
- Assist with intern program, job shadows, etc. Ensure quality and compliance of the programs.
- Assist with disciplinary action processes.
- Address employee issues and concerns with department heads. Participate in coaching and counseling sessions and employee separations (as needed).
- Stay abreast with federal and state laws in conjunction with our legal counsel
- Maintain all I-9 documents in compliance with federal regulations.
- Process unemployment claims, verification of employment, garnishment requests, workers comp claims, participate in and or conduct hearings.
- Assist with Initiating and reviewing all background checks for front office staff, part time staff and camp/ youth coaches.
- Assist with job fairs onsite and at colleges/universities.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Strong understanding and expertise in Benefits administration and plan design.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex work process in an HRIS system. Knowledge of ADP Workforce Now is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate and maintain competency as required for the position of HR Manager; including the functional areas of employee relations, compensation, benefits, training, organizational development, HRIS database, recruitment, employee health/ wellness and employment/ labor laws.
- Proven knowledge of HR industry practices.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across all levels of an organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with strong prioritization skills, in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree perfered.
- PHR or SHRM-CP preferred.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in HR field.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.