Department: Community & Foundation
Supervisor: Manager, Astros Youth Academy
This position will provide major league style baseball/softball instruction and training in the areas of hitting, pitching, fielding, base running and game knowledge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide baseball and/or softball instruction during scheduled events at the YA.
- Assist with various aspects of organizing or coordinating athletic events held at the YA.
- Support the YA’s marketing efforts and outreach by participating in various public events, speaking engagements and other outreach or promotional programs and events.
- High level of demonstrated professionalism and integrity.
- Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with members of the community, organizations, sponsors, instructors, players and coaches.
- Creative, energetic and proactive approach to work.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Represents the Astros in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a 2 year associates degree or major/minor league baseball experience or current collegiate level baseball player/athlete.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of proven experience in coaching high school, college, professional baseball or management of organized sports/recreational activities or current collegiate level baseball player/athlete.
- EXTENSIVE knowledge of one or more (baseball/softball) skills designated for instruction.
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated and proven ability to work with children and parents.
- EXCEPTIONAL communication skills.
- Minimum physical requirements: able to gain access to various areas of the YA for prolonged periods during events; able to lift and transport up to 25 pounds.
- Possess very high degree of discretion and professionalism.
- Professional image and demeanor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.