Our team of hundreds of skilled experts keep Formula 1 moving. You could play a vital part as a Telemetry Support Engineer, to work on the development of the F1 telemetry system and provide field support for the system during F1 events.
Reporting into the Electronics Development Manager, you will:
- Support in the design and development of a new telemetry system including components such as data loggers and telemetry radios throughout the testing phase with a high level of input into the system design, field validation and deployment. During the testing and validation phase you will attend approximate 30% of F1 events.
- After deployment in 2026 you will provide field support to operation teams acting as the subject matter expert at approximately 50% of F1 events. You will also work back at the Biggin Hill Campus further enhancing and improving the system from feedback at the track.
- Work with the other engineering and operational teams providing field support to ensure the telemetry systems meet the team's performance and reliability requirements, including assisting in the installing, commissioning, and operating the telemetry systems at racetracks and test events.
- Maintain and support both the current telemetry system and the new system including troubleshooting, liaising with FIA, F1 Teams, and internal senior stakeholders during an event.
- Troubleshoot and resolve telemetry system problems, both on track and in the garage, including monitoring and analysing telemetry data to identify performance issues and areas for improvement.
- Ensure that the F1 telemetry system is kept at the forefront of technology you will need to keep up with the latest telemetry technologies and best practices and recommend new technologies and approaches to the team.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent vocational and industry experience in electronics engineering (or suitable equivalent, such as mechatronics)
- Knowledge of systems engineering principles, including requirements analysis, system architecture, and system verification and validation, with experience in embedded systems development and support, especially full lifecycle
- Experience designing or deploying/operating RF based telemetry systems.
- Excellent planning skills, including the ability to prioritise and multitask effectively.
- Ability to write comprehensive technical design documentation including requirement specifications, test plans, and test reports.
- Be able to travel extensively internationally throughout the year.
- Working with networking and serial protocols (e.g., Ethernet, CAN, RS232); video encoding (e.g., H264) and transmission protocols (e.g., MPEG-TS); and RF systems
- Experience with electronics hardware and software and design principles
- Developing Linux kernel drivers or for an RTOS
- Experience working within motorsport
- Experience with data acquisition and analysis software
Join Team Formula 1, make it happen!