The Senior Accounting Analyst is responsible for providing general accounting support for the Detroit Tigers, including but not limited to preparing and posting journal entries, reconciling accounts, month-end closing activities, forecasting, budgeting, and performing cost and variance analysis. Departments supported include corporate partnerships, premium sales and other business and baseball operations departments as needed. The Senor Accounting Analyst is also responsible for managing the accounting and forecasting for MLB revenues, including revenue sharing. This position manages complex and confidential company financial records and operates with signification discretion and autonomy.
- Participate in the monthly close process, including preliminary review of financial statements, preparation and posting of journal entries, and explanation of budget to actual variances.
- Assist in preparation of monthly forecasts and annual budget for assigned departments and areas through analysis of accounts and working hand-in-hand with department leaders. Areas this position is responsible for include corporate sponsorships, suites, MLB revenues and debt.
- Partner with the corporate sponsorships team to proactively review and analyze revenue and expense data on an ongoing basis to ensure accuracy of reported data and to assist in preparing accurate forecasts and budgets.
- Assist with the annual financial audit, including responding to auditor requests and preparing supporting documentation.
- Analyze and reconcile various general ledger accounts monthly.
- Assist with MLB reporting requirements, including FIQ, iFIQ, LRP, and ad-hoc requests, along with Minor League PDL reporting.
- Prepare analyses requested for all levels of management on an ad hoc basis.
- Continuously evaluate existing accounting processes and identify areas for improvement or automation.
- Collaboratively review financial information with key stakeholders to identify insights and drive strategic decision making.
- Assist with other projects within the finance team on an as needed basis.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting (Masters Degree, MBA and/or CPA preferred).
- 2 years of accounting experience (public accounting experience preferred).
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles to ensure that financial results are in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to work across all departments and vertically at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and possess strong ability to prioritize
- High level of integrity, resourcefulness, initiative, and good judgment. Setting priorities and handling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Intermediate Excel skills.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced Excel skills, which may include the creation of macros, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience with Oracle.
- Experience with CRM.
- Standard business day plus overtime as needed to meet job responsibilities and deadlines.
- Frequent visual/auditory attention.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.