The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a full-time Analyst in the Baseball Operations Department. This role will be responsible for performing analyses and conducting research within Baseball Operations. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Analytics.
- Perform advanced quantitative analysis to improve Baseball Operations decision-making, including predictive modeling and player projection systems.
- Complete ad hoc data queries and effectively present analysis using written reports and data visualizations.
- Assist with the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Provide evaluations of players at various levels of competition, from high school to MLB.
- Support the current data warehousing process within Baseball Operations.
- Monitor, identify and recommend new or emerging techniques, technologies, models, and algorithms.
- Other projects as directed by Baseball Operations leadership team.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expert-level knowledge of baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Relevant work experience with statistical software (R, STATA, SPSS, SAS, or similar) and scripting languages such as Python.
- Expertise with SQL and relational databases is required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Degree or equivalent experience in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related quantitative field.
- Master’s degree preferred. At least one year of professional experience working with baseball data strongly preferred.
- Team player.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as dictated by the baseball calendar.
- Willing and able to relocate to the Detroit metro area.
- Office environment
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours required
All items listed above are illustrative and not comprehensive. They are not contractual in nature and are subject to change at the discretion of Detroit Tigers.
Detroit Tigers is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to that individual’s race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Company will strive to provide reasonable accommodations to permit qualified applicants who have a need for an accommodation to participate in the hiring process (e.g., accommodations for a job interview) if so requested.