You could be part of the excitement at the Sacramento Kings. Our internship program will contribute to your education and to your professional growth and development. Our program has a rich combination of learning and networking activities that will make your term impactful, beneficial, and yes, FUN!
Interns may be responsible for any relocation and/or housing expenses.
Kings University starts October 11, 2023, and runs through the 23-24 season!
Are you passionate about fashion, merchandise, and the world of sports apparel? Join our team at the NBA Sacramento Kings as a Merchandise Buying Intern! Under the guidance of the Director of Retail Merchandise, you will have the opportunity to learn and contribute to various aspects of merchandise buying, assortment planning, and retail strategy. This internship will provide you with valuable insights into the retail industry and help you develop skills that are essential for a successful career in merchandising.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Assortment Planning and Buying:
- Collaborate with the merchandise team to assist in curating product assortments that align with the Kings' brand and resonate with our diverse fan base.
- Assist in analyzing market trends and consumer preferences to inform buying decisions.
- Assist in assortment planning, buying, product creation, purchase orders, receiving and allocation/distribution.
Vendor Relationships and Communication:
- Learn to communicate effectively with vendors, build relationships, integrate product details from vendors to our workflow.
- Assist in managing vendor orders and resolving any issues related to procurement. Product Presentation and Visual Merchandising:
- Contribute to the creation of visually appealing product displays in both in-venue and e-commerce retail spaces.
- Assist in optimizing product presentation to enhance the overall customer shopping experience.
Market Research and Trend Analysis:
- Stay up-to-date with the latest retail trends, especially in the sports and NBA merchandise space, and share insights with the team.
- Help identify opportunities for introducing new product lines or adjusting existing ones.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Assist in analyzing sales data and key performance indicators (KPIs) to evaluate merchandise performance and inform future buying decisions.
- Assist in constructing and optimizing weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
Collaboration and Cross-Functional Support:
- Work closely with the retail team and cross-functional departments to ensure merchandise aligns with the overall brand strategy and business objectives.
- Assist in collaborating with the e-commerce team to ensure seamless online product listings and availability.
- Learn about inventory control and management techniques to help optimize stock levels, forecasting and minimize overstock or understock situations.
Learning and Development:
- Participate in training sessions and workshops to enhance your understanding of retail merchandising principles and operations.
- Take initiative to learn about merchandise planning software and tools.
- Assist the Director of Retail Merchandise in various tasks related to product sourcing, vendor communication, and retail strategy.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as retail management, fashion merchandising, marketing, or a related discipline.
- Passion for fashion, sports merchandise, and retail trends.
- Basic understanding of merchandising principles, product assortment, and retail presentation.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Familiarity with Shopify and Shopify partners/integrations.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly in a dynamic environment.
- Analytical mindset and an interest in using data to drive decision-making.
- Familiarity with the Kings brand and sports apparel landscape is a plus
To qualify for Kings University internships, you must be:
- Currently enrolled in college or have graduated within 12 months
- Able to commute to the downtown Sacramento office
- Able to work 25 hours per week
Interns will be compensated $15.50 per hour and receive benefits such as California Paid Sick Leave, discounts on Sacramento Kings merchandise, and free parking.
The Sacramento Kings Organization is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital/familial status or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law. The Sacramento Kings organization also complies with all provisions of the U.S. Government's Executive Order 11246 dated September 24, 1965 and the rules, regulations and relevant orders of the Secretary of Labor.