Title: Minor League Hitting Coach
Department: Player Development
Reporting to: Director, Player Development
Job Classification: Full-time, exempt
Full-time Location (City, State): TBD, see information below.
About the A's:
The Oakland A's are a baseball team founded in 1901. They have a rich history, having won nine World Series championships and 15 American League pennants. The A's are known for pioneering the "Moneyball" approach to team-building, which focuses on using statistical analysis to identify undervalued players. In addition to their success on the field, the Oakland A's also have a positive and dynamic work culture. They have been recognized twice as the Front Office Sports, Best Employers in Sports. The A's are defined by their core pillars of being Dynamic, Innovative, and Inclusive. Working for the A's offers the opportunity to be part of an innovative organization that values its employees and strives to create a positive work environment.
The Oakland Athletics are currently seeking a Minor League Hitting Coach who will be assigned to one of the minor league affiliate teams. This position will work directly with the minor league players to support their hitting skills and overall baseball performance through instructive training. The ideal candidate will have a high baseball acumen and excellent understanding of hitting mechanics and batting practices techniques. Furthermore, this position requires an effective communicator who can collaborate with the other coaches and Player Development staff, as well as develop impactful working relationships with minor league players.
- Provide hands-on instruction and guidance to players on hitting mechanics, approach, plate discipline, and situational hitting strategies.
- Implement hitting programs tailored to the specific needs and skill levels of players in the Oakland Athletics' minor league system.
- Collaborate with other coaching staff members to ensure a holistic development approach that integrates hitting with other aspects of the game, including fielding, base running, and mental skills.
- Analyze player performance through video analysis, data interpretation, and other tools to identify areas for improvement and track progress over time.
- Provide on field baseball training including throwing batting practice, hitting fungos, and other pre-game warm-ups.
- Work closely with strength and conditioning staff to develop training regimens that enhance players' physical abilities and contribute to their overall hitting performance.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to players on their performance, highlighting strengths and suggesting actionable areas for improvement.
- Act as a mentor and role model for players, fostering a culture of professionalism, work ethic, and a growth mindset within the organization.
- Collaborate with the Player Development staff to evaluate player progress and readiness for advancement within the minor league system.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- High degree of baseball experience as a coach and/or player, preferably as a hitting coach at the minor league or college level.
- Strong understanding of hitting mechanics, swing analysis, and hitting philosophies.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build positive relationships with players, coaching staff, and front office personnel.
- Experience with video analysis and data-driven approaches to player development.
- A deep passion for player development, a growth mindset, and a commitment to continuous learning.
- Flexibility to work extensive hours including nights, weekends, and holidays, as required by the minor league baseball season.
- Ability to attend Spring Training and Instructional League in Mesa, AZ facilities.
- Ability to work at one of the Oakland Athletics’ minor league affiliates for the minor league season at one of the following affiliates (Las Vegas, NV; Midland, TX; Lansing, MI; Stockton, CA; Mesa, AZ)
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not required
- Experience working with players from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Familiarity with hitting analytics and the ability to translate data insights into actionable coaching strategies.
- Ability to stand, walk, and actively participate in on-field practices and games for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively throw batting practice and hit fungos for practice.
- Ability to lift and carry equipment such as bats, balls, and training equipment, often in variable weather conditions.
- Adequate mobility and physical stamina to engage in field activities and accompany players during practices and games.