The applicant should have the ability to multi-task, cover a high volume of deals, and work independently to structure, negotiate and expeditiously close both simple and complex transactions. They should also be able to develop highly effective and productive working relationships within the organization, among other clubs, and throughout the NFL. First class interpersonal and executive communication skills are critical to the role.
- Drafting and approving a variety of agreements that minimize risks and maximizes legal rights, including licenses, waivers and releases, leases, non- disclosure agreements, sponsorship agreements, vendor agreements, employment agreements, sweepstakes and contest rules, and purchase and sale contracts.
- Work with Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel/Associate General Counsel to manage organization’s legal matters on a day-to-day basis.
- Occasionally represents the club at the NFL league level.
- Identify proactive solutions to eliminate or mitigate risk.
- Manages litigation, including at the NFL level.
- Develop, approve, and enforce a variety of strong and successful policies and procedures throughout the organization.
- Selects, supervises, and retains outside counsel, as required, to obtain legal opinions or to handle claims and litigation.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels officers of the organization and other upper management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, often in situations of great political, public relations, or financial risk or significance, and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Provide counsel and advice on business decisions and transactions.
- Review, understand, maintain, and provide advice on all corporate documents, NFL documents and major partner agreements
- Draft summaries of contracts, leases, and other long form documents.
- Provide counsel and advice in connection with risk management.
- Maintain contract tracking system that ensures requirements, including notice and insurance, are met.
- Create and ensure internal compliance with document management policies.
- Develop and maintain contract management software process.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including NFL rules and regulations.
- Assist and managing intellectual property rights and obligations, including working with outside counsel to file, maintain, and oppose trademark applications.
- Works closely with insurance brokers on risk issues.
- Monitor and advise on current industry legal trends and developments.
- Identify and respond to issues in a timely, accurate, positive and professional manner.
- Assists Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, Associate General Counsel, and others with corporate governance matters.
- Coordinate construction professionals, public officials, trade unions and others on legal issues, contracts and agreements.
- Coordinate all legal aspects of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, sales, and leases.
- Assumes responsibility for special projects assigned from time to time by the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel/Associate General Counsel.
- Perform other related legal duties as directed by the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel/Associate General Counsel.
A J.D. from an accredited law school and good standing as a member of the State Bar of Wisconsin (or willing to become a registered In-House Counsel) are required. A candidate must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience as an attorney in a law firm, corporate, league, or team environment. Experience as a practicing attorney in the sports industry preferred. General knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) is required. The ideal candidate is responsive to internal clients immediately over e-mail and phone and turns documents around promptly, and has the ability to work independently, take ownership of projects and tasks and see them through to completion. A successful candidate is extremely well-organized, possesses excellent communication skills and, most importantly, impeccable integrity, ethical standards, and judgment. They must also demonstrate capacity for decision-making and exercising very strong judgment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for periods of time.
- Ability to focus on projects for periods of time.
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Operates in a professional office environment.
- Role routinely uses standard office equipment.
SUPERVISES: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
SUPERVISED BY: Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel/Associate General Counsel
JOB POSTING CLOSES: November 15, 2023
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description has been approved by management. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing, and duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
All resumes submitted will be reviewed and selected qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.