The people who work off-track are as important to Formula 1 as those behind the wheel. As Senior Mechanical Design Engineer designing, developing, and producing high quality and reliable mechanical solutions based in our Biggin Hill Campus, you could be one of them!
Reporting into the Mechanical Design Manager, you will:
- Design and draught components and assemblies for all Mechanical Engineering and R&D projects.
- Support, modify, maintain & repair all FOM mechanical systems (in the UK and abroad), including rapid fault finding, evaluation and diagnosing of problems that occur, in an accurate and timely manner.
- Carrying out 3D modelling & 2D design/ draught work whilst maintaining/ updating and modifying existing designs/ diagrams.
- Carry out full design cycle project/task work, through Conception, Design, Development, Prototyping, Testing, Diagnosing, Manufacture and Commissioning.
- Produce high quality, reliable products/ systems that require the minimal of maintenance and support.
- Estimate accurately project and tasks duration and costing.
- Produce appropriate and complete documentation for all designs/ enhancements/ projects worked on.
- Report (including producing reports) as required by the R&D Groups’ Management.
- Hand over completed projects & assembly modifications to operationally responsible departments, with relevant documentation and assist operational departments as required regarding any issues that may arise.
- Liaise efficiently with other staff/ departments/ teams and outside organisations (manufacturers, suppliers, and consultancies), establishing and maintaining effective and efficient relations, overcoming problems and defining requirements.
- Decompose complex problems and produce simple and effective solutions, whilst also designing innovative cutting-edge solutions for other projects.
- Support, advise and from time to time assist operational departments with their activities and duties, also assist Technicians when required.
- Perform the role of R&D (Mechanical) support representative at events abroad.
- Degree in Mechanical or Engineering Product Design / similar discipline or HND
- similar discipline or HND Experience
- Experience in mathematical analysis for complex designs.
- Experience and in‐depth knowledge of drawing standards specifically technical product specification BS8888
- Extensive experience in 3D CAD
- Mechanical projects management experience
- Leading product design review meetings and processes.
- Experience estimating and delivering projects within designated budget requirements.
- Integrating electronics into mechanical designs using 3d MCAD‐ ECAD tools
- Proven hands‐on practical skills and good understanding/sense of aesthetics, ergonomics, shock and vibration effects.
- Familiar with a comprehensive range of materials and manufacturing systems.
- Competent in writing technical reports, specifications and user documentation.
- EU driving licence
- Ability to travel
Be the force behind Formula 1!