Job Title: Hybrid Scout / Translator – Taiwan & USA (Arizona)
Department: International Scouting
Reports To: Director, International Scouting - Coordinator, Pacific Rim Scouting – Director, Player Development
Primary Objectives: (Dual or hybrid position based in two countries, with multiple objectives during different times of the year). Responsible for reporting on international amateur & international pro players across the country of Taiwan. To assist in verbal and written English-to-Chinese translations for Taiwanese players training at the Seattle Mariners Spring Training Complex in Peoria, Arizona. Build relationships with relevant baseball personnel within the country of Taiwan. Represent the Seattle Mariners organization in a positive manner while on campus in Arizona. Responsible for supporting and assisting the Mariners International Scouting Department in all facets of player evaluation.
Essential Functions (Scout):
- Evaluate players at varying levels of baseball (amateur & pro) in Taiwan.
- Maintain working knowledge of Mariners systems, processes, and philosophies.
- Collaborate with Baseball Operations leadership in developing self-improvement plans in all areas, including goal-planning and regular reviews.
- Maintain and update a comprehensive “Preference List” of the players seen in Taiwan.
- Create and maintain accurate amateur player bio’s.
- Manage and disseminate up-to-date scheduling information.
- Effectively manage different assignments within both the amateur international and international pro scouting realms, and complete in a timely manner.
- Prepare Expenses in a timely, fiscally-responsible, and accurate manner for the office.
- Evaluate and report on players of interest across the Pacific Rim, at all levels of baseball, as assigned.
- Maintain a video library of players of interest.
- Attend departmental virtual meetings, as well as any in-person organizational meetings.
- Complete assigned scout development exercises.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions (Translator):
- Provide Chinese translation for Taiwanese players during practices and games.
- Assist with interpreting verbal and written information provided by Player Development staff.
- Assist Taiwanese players with cultural acclimation process.
- Assist with pre-game preparation and any player plan meetings.
- Travel with Arizona-based minor league club during Spring Training, extended, regular season, and possible minor league post-season.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Equivalent, relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of formal education if approved by management.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ relevant work required. Previous experience in professional sports is preferred.
- Spoken and written fluency in both Chinese and English required.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s):
- Strong grasp of player evaluation
- High-level communication skills (written and verbal form)
- Demonstrates exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to build positive relationships, both inside and outside the organization
- Acts in a manner that is fair & ethical, and always with integrity
- Takes personal responsibility for thoroughly completing assignments in a timely manner
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Power Point, and Word)
- The ability to be innovative and proactive in promoting new ideas and concepts.
- Can adhere to Seattle Mariners organizational policies and procedures
- Must be able to manage internal and/or confidential organizational information with discretion and sensitivity
Physical Activities and Working Conditions:
- Travel is required
- Ability to work a varied schedule in different environments (both indoors and outdoors, where the employee will be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time)
- Willing and able to spend part of the year in Taiwan, and part of the year in Arizona (the number of months will vary from year to year)