Job Title: Vice President, Payroll
Department: Human Resources
Job Reports To: Chief People Officer
· Lead all activities related to the payroll function; develop policies and procedures for accurate payroll processing, timekeeping, compliance and reporting; ensure timely generation and distribution of all company payrolls.
· Identify, set, and execute strategy for payroll across all facets of the organization.
· Routinely audit and review payroll practices and procedures and provide informed solutions to payroll challenges, developing and implementing best practices across the department.
· At a high level, oversee payroll integrations and operational aspects of key processes, such as the annual pay and budget review/merit increase cycle, EBITDA bonus payments, and other payroll initiatives.
· Develop and oversee pre-and post-payroll process audits, troubleshoot issues, and implement corrective actions eliminating the root cause of issues, as needed, identifying areas for process improvement and efficiencies.
· Exercise thorough, consistent oversight of the payroll team, including managing, developing, advising, training and issuing critical feedback when necessary.
· Ensure appropriate and efficient communication throughout the entire HR department and the organization on all matters related to payroll.
· Manage relationship with payroll and HRIS vendor, including but not limited to billing review, service standards, issue escalation and end-user training.
· Oversee the reconciliation of all payroll data on the G/L, forecasting tax liabilities and credits and other related expenses and accruals; manage calculation of adjusting journal entries as needed to ensure accuracy of financial reports.
· With guidance from Chief People Officer, engage with senior leadership across all departments to recommend process improvements or a new course of action for any payroll related activities.
· In conjunction with Sr. Director of HRIS and Payroll, manage and oversee player payroll, including but not limited to timely processing, communication (including to player agents), taxation and other matters unique to NHL and AHL payroll.
· Work with Vice President of Business Strategy and Analytics to manage and refine commissions process for sales staff; this includes tracking, communicating and ensuring timely payment of commissions to eligible employees, among other related activities.
· Serve as a subject matter expert on payroll tax, demonstrating expertise on its integration with the overall payroll process; also serve as subject matter expert on employee taxable benefits.
· Oversee quarterly tax reconciliation, research and response to federal, state and local taxing authorities, creation of new accounts as needed, creation of W2s and W2Cs and all other payroll related tax obligations.
· Ensure all payroll-related deadlines are met. This includes but is not limited to W-2 issuance, journal entry, 401k census, and workers compensation audit, among other items.
· In conjunction with the legal and finance departments, develop payroll and HRIS strategy, including planning and communications, ensuring compliance with all wage and hour laws, as well as with all federal, state and local taxing jurisdictions, and developing SOPs where needed.
· Work collaboratively with HR peers, other members of management, employees and vendors as needed to meet all deliverables.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Physical Functions:
· Physical activities include sitting, walking and standing for prolonged periods of time, as well as bending, squatting, climbing stairs, kneeling, twisting, lifting, grasping, balancing and handling of materials.
· Ability to speak and communicate clearly with others.
· Ability to work in cold temperatures on occasion.
· Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 20 lbs.
· High finger dexterity.
· Excellent speaking and listening skills, requiring the perception of speech.
In addition to medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, all full-time employees of the Nashville Predators and entities are eligible for Preds Perks. These currently include the following: competitive pay, referral bonuses, 401K eligibility, mental health benefits, monthly wellness stipend, priority access to event presales, tickets to events (when available), Nashville Locker Room (pro shop) discount, 19+ days of paid time off each year, Ford Ice Center programming discount, on demand pay, and bonus potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Nashville Predators and entities are an equal opportunity employer. The organization does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability status, genetic information, or any other applicable federal or state protected classification. The organization celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.
In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact Margie Horwitz at [email protected] to request an accommodation.
Approved by: ____________________________________ Date: ________________________
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments.