Job Title: Part-Time Figure Skating Coach
Employer: Sabertooth Sports & Entertainment (“SS&E”)
Job Location: F&M Bank Arena (“FMBA”)
Department: Rink Programming
Job Reports to: Skating Manager
Status: Non-Exempt, Part-time
Equal Opportunity Employer: SS&E is an equal opportunity employer. The organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability status, genetic information, or any other applicable federal or state protected classification. The organization celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact [email protected] to request an accommodation.
- Instruct students in the basics of the skating class lessons and requirements, while maintaining discipline and safety at all times.
- Complete class evaluations and rosters, turn in to the Manager of Scott Hamilton Skating Academy.
- Leave facility in the condition it was found in upon arrival.
- Be at class each week 10 minutes before and 5 minutes after class to meet with parents and/or students; must be 20 minutes early on the first day of a new session.
- Attend all scheduled in-house meetings and on-ice workshops as required as well as one teaching seminar approved by Manager of Scott Hamilton Skating Academy.
- Serve as an example to all by exhibiting professional behavior at all times – including working together as a cohesive team with other instructors, sharing and assisting with positive teaching methods and instilling a welcoming environment to students at all experience levels.
- Promote and encourage student participation in classes, shows, competitions, tournaments, teams, and other special events offered by Ford Ice Center.
- Teach a minimum of two (2) classes per week or any other classes, programs, or teams that may be offered to the public.
- Communicate on a continuous basis with the parents of the students in their classes, including keeping them up to date on their child’s progress, changes in schedule, and upcoming opportunities at Ford Ice Center and prepare them for realistic expectations concerning skill level.
- Work in all Scott Hamilton Skating Academy/U.S. Figure Skating (USFS) sponsored shows, exhibitions, and basic skills test sessions when scheduled.
- Responsible for special Projects as assigned by Manager or Coordinator of Scott Hamilton Skating Academy.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
- Must be 16 years old.
- Must maintain U.S. Figure Skating membership and Professional Skaters’ Association Full Membership at all times.
- PSA Basic Accreditation and PSA rating or ranking. (Considered Junior Coach if still in high school)
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in coordination of people and resources
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills a must.
- Must have good leadership and excellent communication skills and be able to establish effective working relationships with many different people.
- Must be good at identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Must be able to train others to accomplish goals.
- Must have figure skating/hockey knowledge.
- Must be confident of skills and have the ability to make sound, independent decisions; be able to coordinate resources and responsibilities and be able to get along well with others.
- Ability to work irregular hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- As a condition of employment, qualified applicants will be subject to a background check, including a criminal history check, driving history and character references.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Ability to skate and instruct clients
- Ability to lift children and be mobile on the ice.
- Ability to work in a cold environment.
- Excellent speaking and listening skills, requiring the perception of speech.
- Physical activities include sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, climbing stairs, kneeling, twisting, lifting, grasping, balancing and handling of materials, and working with arms raised for prolonged periods.
- Exposure to bright lights, extreme temperatures, loud noise, dust.
- Ability to work with and around water and ice and to work at or below freezing temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Frequent lifting up to 50 lbs., occasional lifting up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to bend, kneel and work with arms raised for prolonged periods of time.
- Office Equipment (PC based desktop, Multi-line Phone System, etc.)
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments.