At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
Purpose of the Role:
Leading the drawing office based, rotating Production Engineering Team you will be responsible for the personal development, and output of our skilled team of Production Engineers. Working with the Production Engineering Team Leader based in the Machine Shop, the Head of Machining, the Design Director, planning and the wider team you will create value add at the earliest opportunity to smooth the flow of work packets through the design process, into planning and the machine shop. The team that you lead will positively effect lead-time and cost of car. You will inspire positive change and continuous improvement initiatives and provide the first point of contact for all team members that are within your area of responsibility and influence. McLaren has a formidable history - come and be part of our future success!
Reporting to the Head of Machining, it is your responsibility to energise the team and drive the efficient and effective solutions that will directly aid the manufacture of components for our cars, wind tunnel or race team. The role demands a people focused person, who is engaging and determined to do the best for our team. Maintaining regular high quality 1-2-1’s with team members you will provide feedback, support, and encouragement to assistance department development.
- Lead the development, management, and wellbeing of our team by promoting the correct use of policies, procedures, and SOP’s. The wellbeing of our team is a priority
- Promote the one-team approach by encouraging team members to identify and implement continuous improvement processes to minimise waste, reduce costs and deliver meaningful sustainability in everything that we do
- Work with the Head of Machining to identify skills gaps and suggest personal development plans, to provide learning opportunities for the good of both our people and the whole team
- Conduct quarterly, high quality 1-2-1’s using Culture Amp as a record with your direct reports
- Support the Head of Machining with team flexibility, banking and burning hours to meet demand and accepting requests made by our team members where possible
- Manage and monitor workload with respect to the planned release of components
- Encourage and embrace proactive engagement with design at the earliest gateway to ease manufacture without compromising car performance
- Support DFM meetings, driving high quality feedback into design about cost of features, finishes and tolerances
- Review and determine optimal material requirements, supporting the procurement process where appropriate
- Support the creation of stage models and drawings to smooth the production of components within machine shop
- Develop robust routings to ensure seamless flow through manufacture
- Determine the requirement for bespoke cutters, tooling, fixtures, and gauging. Initiating the procurement process where appropriate
- Design, test and evaluate processes and SOP’s that support our workload and provide end to end security at pace
- Work with our team members to resolve Non-Conformance Report (NCR) and quality concerns with robust corrective action