At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
Purpose of the Role:
To drive, implement, and deliver methodology, process, and workflow advancements in our Structural Analysis capabilities, enabling our team to utilise the tools more effectively and maximise the structural performance of our car.
- Central role in the Structural Design Team, and you’ll also be working closely with HPC, Software Development, and CFD teams to drive FEA tools development.
- This role is predominantly factory based but may involve occasional travel when working in collaboration with third parties.
- Establishing what process improvements are required in the team, by understanding current shortcomings by means of effective teamworking/ liaising with other members of the group.
- Deliver on the above improvements in methods/ processes, by researching, developing and testing new methodologies before rolling out to the rest of the team.
- Champion various tools used in Structural Design team in their workflow. Develop in-depth understanding of these tools and develop techniques to address their limitations or improve them.
- Develop a high level of understanding of the other factors influencing FEA methodology and performance: HPC hardware, software, numerical or empirical methods, correlation etc
- Mapping and automating workflows and processes; scripting of bespoke tools and plug-ins where suitable
- Be able to contribute and help maintain a large codebase.
- Investigate and benchmark new and alternative tools/ technologies and cost reduction opportunities, liaising with software vendors.
- Collaborate with data scientists to improve insights into track and lab test data