The Director, Player Relations & Sporting Strategy will provide critical support and strategic guidance to the EVP, Player Relations & Sporting Strategy. In partnership with the EVP, they will develop the long-term strategic vision for league player investment strategies and Sporting Strategy.
- Collaborate with the EVP to develop and execute the Player Relations strategic initiatives and long-term goals.
- Lead the preparation and execution of committee and league meetings.
- Work directly with clubs to understand key business drivers, challenges, and future growth opportunities.
- Manage player investment models and initiatives.
- Assist in management of day-to-day relationship with MLS Chief Soccer Officers and other club executives.
- Assess the effectiveness and measure the impact of current League initiatives.
- Oversee player data and reporting, in collaboration with MLS Strategy & Business Intelligence.
- Evaluate and interpret MLS Roster & Budget Guidelines.
- Assist in managing ongoing relationship with MLSPA.
- Key stakeholder for certain external relationships (US Soccer, Canada Soccer, CONCACAF).
- Additional responsibilities as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Graduate Degree (MBA or JD) strongly preferred
- 8+ years experience, 4 years of related strategy experience either internally or with a top-tier consulting firm preferred
- Deep knowledge and interest in Major League Soccer, our clubs, players, and rules.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate during presentations, both written and verbally.
- Ability to make timely, nuanced recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned analysis and the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Understanding of player valuation principles, from sports industry or otherwise.
- Commitment to building positive team environments, and to working effectively within such teams.
- Organizational and project management skills necessary to support and advise clubs and League business units, and ensure projects are completed in a timely and effective manner.
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics, integrity and compliance.
- Strong proficiency within Excel.
- Outstanding PowerPoint and presentation-building skills and familiarity with visual-design concepts.
- Knowledge and/or experience with international player movement, FIFA structure and regulations
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, French and/or Italian
- Ability to travel and to work non-traditional hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Starting Base Salary $110,000 - $150,000 MLS/SUM base salaries are contingent upon several factors including individual qualifications, market financials, and operational business needs.
We are committed to providing a Total Rewards package that attracts, supports, engages, and retains talent through the following:
- Benefits – comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, as well as a suite of programs to promote well-being including a $500 Wellness Reimbursement. A generous PTO offering, and hybrid Office/Remote Work Schedule are also offered to promote Work-Life balance.
- Career & Professional Development – on the job training, feedback, and on-going educational opportunities to continue your personal and professional development.
- Employee Engagement – office perks, discounts and employee events that go “beyond the traditional paycheck” to make you feel a part of our team and inspire you to elevate the Game!\
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.