The New York Mets are seeking a Senior Software Engineer in their Baseball Systems department. This individual will help architect and guide the Systems group in the building of mobile and web applications to enrich the Mets data ecosystem and inform decision-making within Baseball Operations. This position requires a strong background in mobile and web development. The ideal candidate would use lessons from personal experience to build scalable baseball solutions, mentor team members in software best practices, and architect new capabilities within Baseball Operations at the Mets. We are looking for strong engineering generalists who are excited to work on greenfield software projects and design scalable systems. This is a senior IC role that will be expected to mentor, write code part-time, and weigh-in heavily on technical designs and implementation details of solutions.
Prior experience in or knowledge of baseball is a plus but is not required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain and scale a broad collection of internal applications that enhance player development, scouting, and executive decision making
- Lead weekly software sprint meetings and retrospectives
- Partner with leadership and our design lead in building out the ongoing product roadmap
- Manage the technical on-call rotation and code review practices
- Communicate broadly with the greater Technology group at the Mets around status, technical needs, and blockers
- Develop exciting user-facing applications by designing, building, and deploying reliable, readable code for platforms within Baseball Operations
- Collaborate with a variety of engineers and internal stakeholders to validate designs and facilitate clean rollouts and deployments of new products
- Lend expertise to technical decision-making around the choices of technologies, platforms, and third-party partners
- Architect and oversee the rollout of backend APIs to facilitate scalable flow of baseball data
- Integrate with a variety of third-party APIs to enrich the New York Mets data ecosystem
- Work with data engineers to facilitate the easy collection and access of valuable baseball data
- Own green field projects with a high degree of technical control that extend the capabilities of the New York Met Baseball Operations organization
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
- 6+ years of relevant work experience
- Management experience preferred
- Experience building scalable system within cloud platforms, e.g. GCP, AWS
- Experience reviewing code and developing test suites for scalable technological systems
- Experience working with MySQL and other relational databases
- Experience with different API frameworks, including REST and GraphQL
- Familiarity with modern agile practices and development tools
- Ability to work collaboratively with designers, analysts, and other engineers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience in baseball or biomechanics analysis is a plus
- Prior experience in mobile development (Objective-C, Java) is a plus
The above information is intended to describe the general nature, type, and level of work to be performed. The information is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The individual selected may perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
The New York Mets recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and value the unique qualities individuals of various backgrounds and experiences can offer to the Organization. Our continued success depends heavily on the quality of our workforce. The Organization is committed to providing employees with the opportunity to develop to their fullest potential.