The NBA Nigeria Basketball Operations works to carry out the league's strategy of growing the game of basketball by getting more youth participating in the game around the world. Based in Lagos, Nigeria, this position will work across all business lines to develop, deliver, and manage Basketball Operations initiatives and programs in Nigeria and Africa supporting the growth of the NBA Nigeria. This role will focus on managing and growing our NBA Nigeria youth participation programs and activities in Nigeria, support NBA Nigeria initiatives in Nigeria and, oversee the administration and delivery of Basketball Operations partner deliverables.
- Serve as primary contact for Basketball Operations on all NBA Nigeria Leagues operations, logistics & internal processes in Nigeria.
- Overall lead on NBA Nigeria Leagues programs running in Nigeria, including managing local agency and coordinating partner deliverables with the partnerships team.
- Overall lead on the delivery of NBA Nigeria Week clinics, coaching clinics, activities, and programs for NBA Nigeria preseason games in Nigeria.
- Lead the on-court coaching, instruction, and demonstrations of basketball drills at camps and youth clinics (elite/non-elite) in Nigeria Support the talent identification, scouting, and recruitment of elite players for Basketball Without Borders (BWB), NBA Nigeria League selection camp, and other elite basketball programs.
- Support the development and management of basketball programs in the U.A.E. and the Middle East, including NBA Nigeria and NBA Nigeria Basketball School programs.
- Support the Basketball Operations department in partnering with the Global Partnerships team to develop and deliver a commercial model to commercialize NBA Nigeria Basketball Schools platforms, to increase levels of participation in Nigeria.
- Assist with the coordination, planning, organization, and delivery of NBA Nigerian camps, coaching, NBA Nigeria clinics, and NBA Nigeria Cares activities around international games.
- Support the implementation of youth basketball and coaching development (train-the-trainer) in Nigeria Support NBA Nigeria, Global Partnerships, and New Business departments in designing and delivering basketball programming that supports business growth and long-term basketball initiatives.
- Develop and evolve key day-to-day relationships with Federations, Clubs, Government, and other key stakeholders in NBA Nigeria.
- Business level fluency in the English language required.
- Additional language skills, a plus Strong ability to deliver in-person and virtual coaching to elite youth players and coaches.
- Deep knowledge of the NBA Nigeria international business and sports operations.
- Strong project-management and event management skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects Foundational knowledge of Marketing, TV & Digital Sales, Merchandising, Sponsorships, and Communications.
- A thorough understanding of the Nigeria sports landscape and the local culture.
- Working knowledge of the game of basketball, including current FIBA and NBA rules and regulations.
- Strong business acumen with a demonstrated computer proficiency (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn new computer programs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and across all business lines within the organization.
- Position will require significant international travel.
- Team-oriented mindset A passion for basketball Strong business acumen
- Established relationships with scouts across Nigeria a plus
- A minimum of 7 years elite basketball coaching experience with extensive experience in coaching youth players and past playing experience, a plus.
- A business management experience is a plus In-depth knowledge of the game of basketball throughout Africa, with special focus in Nigeria and internationally Experience in creating, planning, and executing all aspects of basketball development programs (youth/elite clinics, coaching clinics, camps, seminars, grassroots, etc).
- Ability to develop creative solutions which will meet the objectives of prospective partners.
Educational Background Required:
Bachelor's degree required, sports management, a plus