This position will primarily support the League’s business ventures initiatives and work closely with partnership marketing, brand alliances, club services and consumer goods teams within Major League Soccer and its member clubs as well as with Soccer United Marketing, MLS’s marketing arm.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including sponsorship, promotional rights, and consumer products agreements, in support of the commercial business of MLS and Soccer United Marketing.
- Negotiate and draft production, content licensing and distribution agreements.
- Support club services team in review and approval of club sponsorships and other commercial transactions.
- Draft and manage operation of league commercial policies and create and deliver trainings on policy updates and new policy initiatives.
- Draft and negotiate services and technology agreements.
- Provide strategic legal advice to business teams regarding data activation agreements, data processing and privacy compliance.
- Work cross-functionally to identify risks and provide strategic, practical and creative legal guidance.
- Perform special projects and other assignments as requested.
Education and Experience
- 4 or more years of experience at a leading law firm and/or corporate legal department with relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and JD
- Admission to the NY State Bar
- Outstanding written and oral business communication skills
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills
- Experience with commercial transactions, including licensing, branding and promotions
- Superior organization, project management skills and attention to detail, necessary to support and advise business units and ensure projects are completed in a timely and effective manner
- Ability to make timely, nuanced recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic objectives of the organization
- Strong presentation skills and ability to creative effective, business-friendly training materials.
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics, integrity and compliance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, team environment with a business-focused approach
- Understanding of blockchain and cryptocurrency regulation, and emerging blockchain digital products (i.e. NFTs).
- Working knowledge of privacy data activation and data driven marketing.
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer.