MLB Network seeks a Specialist, Affiliate Operations with strong knowledge and passion for baseball and hockey as well as the cable and media industries. The Specialist, Affiliate Operations will spearhead affiliate technical/operational efforts (including but not limited to: launch authorizations, blackout implementation, VOD and TV Everywhere) for MLB Network and NHL Network with traditional and virtual MVPDs worldwide.
- Organize launch authorizations and perform blackout-related activity and responsibilities for MLB Network and NHL Network– primary internal liaison and external communicator to affiliates
- Manage and coordinate technical distribution of Strike Zone
- Oversee planning, distribution and reporting of MLB Network and NHL Network VOD products
- Project manage current processes and new processes for blackout implementation on digital and virtual platforms
- Ensure distribution of MLB Network and NHL Network across contracted league and club hotels nationwide
- Serve as primary affiliate liaison to external delivery and transmission partners (e.g. Comcast Wholesale, Encompass, Vubiquity, etc.)
- Prepare all daily and weekly affiliate blackout communication
- Prepare team territory lists for distribution to NOC Supervisors
- Prepare bonus coverage charts and notifications
- Create and maintain team territory maps
- Manage bonus coverage re-tunes with external affiliated MVPDs and internal contacts (Operations and NOC Supervisors)
- Attend Conditions meetings, work with NOC Director to write and communicate daily plans for Master Control operators
- Assist or provide backup to NOC Supervisor for re-tunes of IRDs on game days
- Support CP or producer on blackout rules for bonus coverage and regionalization
- Review all VimBiz reports for blackout, headend signal or affiliate issues
- Follow-up calls with headend techs and engineers at the systems and regional offices
- Follow up on blackout discrepancies – gather information for management and troubleshoot when necessary.
- Resident expert on TV Everywhere and emerging technologies as used in the industry to executive team when necessary
- Answer general questions from affiliate sales hotline
- Provide backup to technical hotline
- Other such duties as required
Skills & Experience:
The ideal candidate must have most if not all of the following skills and experiences:
- A minimum of 4-6 years’ experience in cable affiliate sales and marketing, sports media, and/or media operations is required.
- Candidate must be proficient in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Candidate must be familiar with MLB and NHL broadcast territories and apply knowledge effectively.
- Ability to work effectively with Production, Engineering and Broadcasting departments.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail and superior follow up skills.
- Must be available evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Individual must work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements.
- Demonstrate the tact, diplomacy, decisiveness, and superior people skills required in the pressurized environment of live television.
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented and able to work across multiple projects, and across entire organization.
- Ability to organize and schedule work effectively.
- Ability to work well independently and under time constraints.
- Successful at effective multi-tasking.
- Strong leadership experience.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills. Positive can-do attitude with demonstrated creativity, initiative and persistence.
- Ability to persuade and resolve problems in a professional manner.
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Possess the manual dexterity needed to effectively create required work product.
- Possess the visual acuity needed to effectively create required work product.
- Possess the auditory acuity needed to effectively create required work product.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy