The Los Angeles Dodgers Quantitative Analysis team is responsible for researching and developing data-driven metrics and tools that improve decision-making throughout Baseball Operations. We focus on the methodology for using data to evaluate all facets of player performance at all levels of baseball. We craft, implement, and maintain the models used to guide decisions about player personnel, player development, and on-field strategy.
The Quantitative Product Engineer will join the team to support the integration of modeling results with intra- and inter-department products. You will be responsible for building tools to coordinate and structure model input and output. You will support the productization of existing models required for automated and ad-hoc analyses and will collaborate with Baseball Systems to optimize our products for ETL and display.
- Implement and detail procedures for productization and automation of existing Quantitative Analysis products
- Design, implement, and test tools to support the prototyping and development of new Quantitative Analysis products
- Build applications to improve the accessibility and interpretability of data
- Apply statistical models for data quality testing and outlier detection
- Collaborate across Baseball Operations to understand requirements and translate them into functional design specifications
- Provide mentorship to and review work of other team members
- Additional duties as assigned
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Experience with Python, Bash, and other scripting languages
- Experience with SQL query design and optimization (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Experience with cloud-based and distributed computing (AWS preferred)
- Familiarity with public research in baseball analytics
- Familiarity with statistical modeling and optimization techniques
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team to build and maintain an industry-leading team
- You are enthusiastic about baseball, and you want to see your work reflected on the field and in the box score
When you apply, please submit a one-page (PDF) and a code sample (GitHub link preferred). The code sample might be a class, research, or hobby project and need not be a completed or standalone product (i.e. unresolved dependencies are ok). Code samples related to data science and/or sports analytics are preferred, but not necessary.
LOS ANGELES DODGERS LLC is firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for all qualified applicants from every race, creed, and background. The Organization is also firmly committed to complying with all applicable laws and governmental regulations at the state and local levels which prohibit discrimination.
LOS ANGELES DODGERS LLC considers all applicants without regard to national origin, race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, military status, citizenship status, pregnancy or related medical conditions, marital status, ancestry-ethnicity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal civil rights law. The Immigration Reform and Control Act require that the Organization obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes their right to work in the United States.
In accordance with the Los Angeles Dodgers’ policies relating to COVID-19, all newly-hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. Applicants who decline to be vaccinated because of a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief, or because they are pregnant, may be considered for a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement.