Department: Sports Medicine and Performance
Reports to: Head Dietitian
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros are currently seeking a Dietitian in the Sports Medicine & Performance (SM&P) Department for our Academy in the Dominican Republic. Residing in the Dominican Republic, the person in this role will provide educational, coaching, administrative, and operational duties with respect to nutritional and dietitian services, to players and staff for our Academy. The focus of the role is performance enhancement, and this person will form a strong collaborative partnership with other members of the SM&P team, specifically the Head Dietitian, Strength & Conditioning Coaches, and Athletic Trainers. These collaborations will help drive the nutritional component of the SM&P vision within the Houston Astros. This role will be specifically targeted towards the applied delivery of nutritional services to our players at our DR Academy. Bilingual in Spanish and English is required.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Head Dietitian and members of the Sports Medicine & Performance team, on forming and executing the Nutrition vision and strategy
- Oversee the nutrition for all DR academy players including athlete care, performance-related testing (e.g., hydration, body composition), catering, and kitchen staff for the DR Academy
- Act as a reliable source of nutrition for athletes and staff, ensuring all content provided is evidence-based/informed in the areas of medical nutrition therapy and performance
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance of athletes
- Counsel athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training and achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and performance
- Educate players in food selection and food preparation
- Oversee nutrition budget forecasting and tracking at the DR Academy
- Evaluate nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements, for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy as well as within MLB compliance; monitors use of appropriate supplementation in partnership with Strength and Conditioning staff
- Collaborate on research projects aimed at assessing nutritional interventions impact on performance
- Provide specific support with respect to food, menus, recovery nutrition, and nutrition plans
- Consistently communicate with SM&P team regarding athlete care
Education and/or Experience & Skills:
- Licensure or certificate in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutritional Sciences or similar
- At least one year of professional experience
- Fluent in Spanish and English is required
- Master’s degree in Sports Nutrition or similar
- Sports Nutrition certificate
- Sports nutrition experience
This job operates in an office, locker room and sometimes outside setting. This role will involve being on the individual’s feet for long periods of time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This role routinely will be in an inside or outside type of environment for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to be physically moving for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to lift and carry up to 25 pounds throughout the day.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Limited travel is required in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.