The Houston Astros are currently seeking an International Area Scout for the Pacific Rim region. The responsibilities include identifying and recruiting talent to support the efforts of the International Scouting department in the assigned region. The International Area Scout will be an Independent Contractor. This position will be based in South Korea or Japan.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify and evaluate potential international prospects throughout assigned region.
- Produce written and verbal player assessments in a timely manner.
- Interact regularly with trainers, coaches, and others throughout the baseball community in the assigned region.
- Aid in the process of collecting, organizing, and analyzing player data to streamline evaluations across player market.
- Gauge a player's overall makeup through personal interviews and other various channels.
- Interact with scouts directly and Houston-based staff to ensure effective coverage of area through scouting looks, data capture, and additional information sources as required.
- Korean and/or Japanese language fluency required.
- Valid passport for international travel required.
- English language proficiency required, with fluency a plus.
- Strong baseball knowledge and foundation for evaluation abilities required.
- Experience in the international baseball market, particularly in assigned region as a player, coach, scout, executive, etc., is required.
- Understanding and appreciation of baseball analytics preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Professional playing experience a plus.
- Experience with SQL and SQL databases a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals including scouts, players, trainers, and front office members.
- Demonstrated passion for baseball and intellectual curiosity.