The Director - Finance is responsible for managing the day-to-day activity of accounting department personnel in the performance of their duties. This position manages complex and confidential company financial records and operates with signification discretion and autonomy.
- Manage and direct the day-to-day activity of accounting department personnel in the performance of their duties, including preparation of monthly reporting and forecasts and review of journal entries and reconciliations.
- Monitor and assess the performance of the accounting department’s staff, including all performance evaluations, hiring, coaching and disciplinary action activities.
- Ensure the timeliness and accuracy of the monthly closing of the accounting records.
- Develop and ensure all accounting activity and reporting of financial information follows established processes and procedures and is in compliance with GAAP standards.
- Monitor and ensure all general ledger reconciliations are completed in accordance with established processes and schedules.
- Manage and enhance the on-going accounting processes, including finance and payroll system functionality. Continuously evaluate existing accounting processes and identify areas for improvement or automation.
- Review and ensure the accurate reporting of all financial information disseminated by the department.
- Foster organizational awareness by maintaining positive relationships with other business units, departments and third parties, providing exceptional customer service satisfaction.
- Assist in preparation of monthly forecasts and annual budget for assigned departments and areas through analysis of accounts and working hand-in-hand with department leaders.
- Partner with the corporate sponsorships team to proactively review and analyze revenue and expense data on an ongoing basis to ensure accuracy of reported data and to assist in preparing accurate forecasts and budgets.
- Assist with the annual financial audit and serve as a major point of contact, including responding to auditor requests and preparing supporting documentation.
- Assist with MLB reporting requirements, including FIQ, iFIQ, LRP, and ad-hoc requests, along with Minor League PDL reporting.
- Prepare analyses requested for all levels of management on an ad hoc basis. Leverage Oracle, Workday, PowerBI, and other tools to develop new financial reports.
- Collaboratively review financial information with key stakeholders to identify insights and drive strategic decision making.
- Promote a collaborative, innovative, and fun environment within the Finance team and across the broader organization.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting (Masters Degree, MBA and/or CPA preferred).
- 7 years of related experience (2+ years of public accounting experience preferred).
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to work across all departments and vertically at all levels of the organization.
- High level of integrity, resourcefulness, initiative, and good judgment. Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong experience in finance, accounting, budgets and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and financial reporting systems. Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced Excel skills, which may include the creation of macros, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience with people management.
- Experience with Oracle.
- Experience with CRM.
- Standard business day plus overtime as needed to meet job responsibilities and deadlines.
- Frequent visual/auditory attention.
All items listed above are illustrative and not comprehensive. They are not contractual in nature and are subject to change at the discretion of Detroit Tigers.
Detroit Tigers is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to that individual’s race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Company will strive to provide reasonable accommodations to permit qualified applicants who have a need for an accommodation to participate in the hiring process (e.g., accommodations for a job interview) if so requested.