The Fan Development Director for the Detroit Tigers oversees the execution of strategic marketing plans to engage new and existing fans for the Detroit Tigers including fan loyalty programs, community marketing, grassroots and youth sport initiatives, multi-cultural marketing, event programming, themed ticket packages, influencer marketing, and overall brand story and message as well as successfully balance strategic and operational roles.
Ideal characteristics include being an individual that has a strategic vision with the ability to execute holistic plans by working cross-departmentally. The Director has the experience necessary to build long-term strategic plans with a phased approach using data, technology, and creativity to drive measurable fan development and growth. The focus will be on growing our iconic brand footprint and cultivating and nurturing the fanbase relationship to support our future fan, drive new fan acquisition and build deeper avidity to garner organization-wide growth. This is a new team within the Marketing department, and the Director will be the first hire, so they should be passionate about the opportunity to build something new.
- Build and lead the newly formed Fan Development team, creating a strategic plan and implementing a phased approach to achieve executional excellence
- Identify opportunities and develop initiatives to attract new fan audiences and build measurable deeper fan loyalty
- Create a loyalty program for adults and kids that drives desired behaviors, rewards loyalty and leverages technology with the goal of increasing the known fanbase, driving leads, engaging with fans year-round and building a deeper connection with the brand and team
- Partner cross-departmentally to align strategic goals, design best in class initiatives and execute flawlessly to create memorable experiences that authentically attract and engage with the community
- Develop programming and community marketing activations that cultivates relationships with community organizations, local businesses, event organizers, influencers, corporate partners and youth sports leagues and further deepens the strength and positive perception of the brand
- Create community marketing activations that drive lead generation for loyalty programs and ticket sales and create an meaningful experience with the Tigers brand
- Create customer journeys in conjunction with Marketing, Ticketing, Game Entertainment and Business Analytics Teams to clearly define touchpoints, messaging, experience, desired outcomes and efficacy
- Nurture and mentor Fan Development team by growing impact and creating an environment filled with collaboration and continuous improvement
- Define short and long term goals, identify KPIs, measure performance and report progress consistently
- Work collaboratively with Business Analytics Team to identify key fan segments, measure fan loyalty and create reporting to track performance metrics and efficacy of initiatives
- Ensure brand consistency across all touchpoints by working collaboratively in partnership with the Marketing team
- Collaborate with the corporate partnership team to promote and monetize special events, activities and programs based upon evolving trends to identify and develop new fans and community groups as part of our overall fan segmentation efforts – both on-site and in the community, creating impactful programs engage corporate partners.
- Establish relationships across MLB as well as all professional organizations to understand their strategic initiatives and align this newly developed team to help support other teams and departments in achieving their goals.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly collaborate, team leader with the ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast pace environment.
- A strategic planner with the ability to execute at a high level to bring the plan to life
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the desire and motivation to build and grow a department
- Data and analytics background to make informed data driven decisions for fan development driven decisions and development.
- Demonstrated leadership in organizing and directing departmental operations; effectively supervising and mentoring personnel; and developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a highly creative process, harnessing ideas and resources as needed to enable the creation of innovative omni-channel campaigns with meaningful, measurable results.
- The ability to think long-term about how to evolve the brand as the business continues to grow - and to plan through the long, medium, and short-term accordingly.
- Excellent presentation and communications skills and ability to create messaging that drives engagement; Plus, the ability to effectively collaborate and execute integrated marketing plans.
- Executive presence and comfort in all interactions with colleagues, senior-level management and critical external stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments in a complex, fast paced environment. And the ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards. Extreme discretion, as work may involve confidential and sensitive information.
- Project & Time Management.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business or similar field.
- Minimum of 7+ years of related experience and/or training: equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the Detroit market, including key media contacts.
- Irregular and extended hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Normal office environment.
- Frequent visual/auditory attention.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.